Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods: I am not sure if this is better placed in the hunting section, if you think so feel free to move it.
I just purchased my first trail cam last week, an EZ Cam from Dicks, it was on sale for $60. How could you refuse? Its nothing fancy, just a 1.3 megapixel basic camera, with a conventional flash. Might have to buy another 1.
Well, I've been scouting and have been seeing some great sign of a good sized buck in 1 of my spots. He is there, I see his prints often enough. Monday I was out there and ran in to a 6 pointer at mid morning, I didn't have my Nikon SLR with me (Murphy's law strikes again) and I got close to him.
Anyway, so the pics below are some of the results from my first trail cam deployment. I left it out there for 3 days. First a doe walked by on night 1, she looks average to maybe a bit larger than (not posting her portrait). Then on night 2, probably the very same 6 pointer goes by, only 2 pics of him but he is clearly 6 points.

Then later, just after midnight, in comes this buck: looking these pics over, I count 9 points. I put the broadside shot in because I want to show his size, putting the tail in to a mental scale he looks big to me, what do you all think? The easy part is over, now of course I'll never see him come November. Thats Murphy's law at work too! :mrgreen:
I can tell I am going to have a lot of fun with this (translates to lots of tossing and turning while I try to plan when I should be sleeping instead), and I can also tell that this camera will soon be joined by another one. Think I've found a potential spot for a stand. This is at the convergence of 2 trails, 15 feet inside uncut timber from a 2 year old selective cut.
Please!!! If you have a trail cam, feel free to add your pics to this thread. I think its probably a safe bet to say I will be posting more soon.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Those are pretty good pics, Geoff, for a $60 trail cam. I don't own one but would like to. I am borrowing one, though, for my Franklin logging job. We are using it to try to catch the punks who keep vandalizing the logger's equipment. :twisted:

I look forward to seeing other's pics.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Geoff Old Buddy, Old Pal..... Where's you say this spot was?.... :p

Neat Pics! Kinda like a Sunday Matinee Preview!

To me, "No.2" has a fine rack and a good head, but he's a little light in the body.... He must have great genes to have that good an Horn-Hat at such a young age.... I bet he's no more than 3 1/2 years old.... I doubt he'd dress more than an honest 150 lbs. That said, he'd sure look good on the wall with a neck mount!

"No. 1" looks to me to be a better 'eater.... and his antlers are nothing to sneeze at either!

Drew

·
Registered
3,421 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Surely we have more than 3 trail cam owners here?
I've moved mine around without anything showing up on it. But I also keep finding new places for it too.
2 days ago my 4 year old and myself hiked out to it, then we moved it back to the same tree as the pictures above were taken from. This time I put some apples out there too. Hopefully the batteries will be shot when I next go out there!

·
Super Moderator
32,471 Posts
I like all of the pictures. My favorites are the young deer because they are so cute, but I get sad because I know one day they may be blasted. :(

Hopefully...by ME! LOL When some of my non hunting friends ask me why and how I can shoot a deer my reply is "if you don't they fight back when you try skinning 'em!" ;)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Who is this? I think its safe to say this is a different set of antlers. I think I can just make out 8 points this time. The deer seems very weary of the camera, he chose to not walk further down the trail. He must have exited off to the left. Interesting, a glimpse of a weary-wise specimen. Is he the one putting down the big tracks I see? I have no hint. I think I can make out a peculiar black spot/dot on top of his nose, a big 'ol tick or a pokadot maybe.
Then yesterday morning this she-moose went by, must have been at a good clip as in the 2nd and last shot she has nearly passed by with only her rear half showing up.

I am now going to wait a day or so to go back out there, and I will next put the camera up along a different trail, one I think leads to a buck bedroom.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Geoff,

Looks like the velvet is coming off.... I bet that "polka dot" is a war wound or at very least an abrasion from rubbing his antlers...

I think I make him a 9 point. Looks like three tines in the left hand, major fork.

Nice buck. Hope some bow hunter doesn't assassinate him before you get a chance to plug him....

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I smell another mooses vs. meeses thread...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My trail cam caught these two strange creatures a while back. I've never been able to figure out exactly what sort of creatures they are, but they seem to be slightly inebriated and, perhaps, engaged in some sort of mating ritual...

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I posted this trail cam pic a few months ago. As an update, a neighbor finally trapped and relocated him - but not before he had wiped out the loose housecat population for several square miles. That's when he started going after the poultry - as he is here:

The local animal control tried to bait with raw hamburger and managed to catch dozens of 'coons, 'possums, and skunks before giving up. :lol: The neighbor used a live chicken.

Before catching this one, he nabbed a jaguarundi in his big Hav-a-hart, a wild feline I'd never heard of - very rare even in its south Texas habitat - unknown way up here.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/jag/

xtm

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Geoff,

Good for you to be having such fun w/ your trail camera. I've not upgraded from the old film style of camera yet but need to soon.

I've got some great pics of a nice mature bobcat just after a fresh snow. I can't scan them because my printer/scanner is still hooked up to my crashed PC. I'll bring them to the RNS for you to see. Talk soon.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Not seeing antlers in the latest attempts. I'll keep moving it around, I probably will put it back out on the same tree I started with eventually. Not sure what happened with the date/time thing, I just reset it so I'll watch and see if the clock is messed up.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Geoff here are the pics I promised. These are a few years old, but are still my "trail cam claim to fame."

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good sized cat I'd say. I saw one last about a year ago here. Thanks for posting them. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
:shock:

[youtube:s7to8lxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcaktDTl4Lg[/youtube:s7to8lxk]

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

A young spike with some reach.

Imagine that you have scouted out an area carefully, and selected a stand or 2 you think will be the right ones. You are on one on opening day, and not 2 hours in to the season, you hear approaching deer. They closer and closer, you begin to get antsy, getting ready, gun up ready to aim and fire. The sound gets closer still and movements can be seen through the trees. Then into view steps 2........calves. Out in the middle of the woods. They step over the wall the deer jump over and proceed down the trail.
Would you shoot? Wild beef? Theres no law on the books stopping you. :mrgreen:
I doubt they've been out long, and I called the local LE. I would think coyotes would make easy work out of either one of these calves if they cross paths.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Geoff,

I've had the exact same thing happen to me, but mine was a full sized Holstein. I think at that point, I got up and left. It was frustrating at the time, but it's funny now. Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts