Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,894 Posts
Be prepared for the need to try different ammo in this pistol. There doesn't seem to be one ammo that works best over the others with the EZ. Because of the EZ design, it's been a known issue to have light strikes and more than a few mis-fires. Buy quality ammo, and if it doesn't function properly try a different ammo altogether. It is not what I would call a design flaw, it's just the way it is, because of the lighter springs and designs to make it so easy to rack the slide and operate.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Light strikes? Is there a heavier aftermarket strike spring or extended tip striker out there?

What ammo has light strikes? Wolf Milspec with the lacquered 124gr? That stuff drove me nuts in a night sight training class.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be prepared for the need to try different ammo in this pistol. There doesn't seem to be one ammo that works best over the others with the EZ. Because of the EZ design, it's been a known issue to have light strikes and more than a few mis-fires. Buy quality ammo, and if it doesn't function properly try a different ammo altogether. It is not what I would call a design flaw, it's just the way it is, because of the lighter springs and designs to make it so easy to rack the slide and operate.
Thanks, that's good info to have. I get the Speer 124gr for free a little at a time so I'm hoping that'll work.

·
Super Moderator
19,894 Posts
Maybe someone willcome up with a way around that safety.
How about one of those big fat rubber bands that tie around lobster claws, or bunches of broccoli? Wrap that around the grip safety, and viola, issue solved.

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
How about one of those big fat rubber bands that tie around lobster claws, or bunches of broccoli? Wrap that around the grip safety, and viola, issue solved.
I just checked my EZ and if you put a big old rubber band around the top of the trip safety it will also press on the magazine release button. Probably not a good thing. It would have to be at very the top of the grip safety because that is where the pressure must be to inactivate the thing. A lower grip (lower rubber band) won't do it. At least it didn't on my EZ. It might work on your EZ if you have one.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Having to grip 'just so' isn't a good thing in an emergency/self defense situation...but I'm trying to use muscle memory to make it so.
A proper grip, with the web of the hand very firmly at the very top of the back of the grip, will always completely depress that grip safety.

That said, I shoot left handed now - for about 3 years. My right hand no longer automatically remembers to very firmly grip the gun at the VERY TOP of the grip, and I often cannot pull the trigger if holding the gun with my right hand. This is also true for my 1911-22 which has an even smaller grip safety, since it has a smaller grip.

You said it: muscle memory. That comes from dozens (or hundreds) of repetitions of doing it the proper way. I transitioned from revolvers to my first semi auto which was a Glock. I practiced "smashing" my hand up the rear of the grip and into the very top-back of the grip while the gun was in my holster - tens of dozens of times. Then it became natural.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Good choice. We bought the 380 for my wife when it first came out. Total new shooter and not the best techniques for shooting and racking, but she loves it and we've not had any issues with it. The 9Ez is mine and has almost a thousand rounds through it with no issues. CCI Blazer, Fed Alum mostly but the Fed HST and Hornady Critical defense 115 have all worked without problems.

·
Registered
67 Posts
While I have some minor complaints about the EZ, (don't care for the grip safety) I've had zero failures with 4 different ammo types.
Maybe someone willcome up with a way around that safety.
I just checked my EZ and if you put a big old rubber band around the top of the trip safety it will also press on the magazine release button. Probably not a good thing. It would have to be at very the top of the grip safety because that is where the pressure must be to inactivate the thing. A lower grip (lower rubber band) won't do it. At least it didn't on my EZ. It might work on your EZ if you have one.
You could always JB weld the safety to the frame. LOL
Self tapping screw? Crazy glue?
I know this is a borderline zombie thread, and that some of you were joking around, but I thought this needs to be said about the grip safety on the EZ9.

The grip safety on the EZ9 is not there to prevent you from accidentally firing the weapon. That is the purpose of the thumb safety (if you have that option).

The purpose of the grip safety on the EZ9 is to prevent accidental discharge if the weapon is dropped.

If you notice, the EZ9 does not have a hinged trigger or any other form of trigger safety.

If you disable the grip safety, there is nothing to prevent the weapon from discharging if dropped.

If you don't like the grip safety on the EZ9, get a different gun. Do not disable it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
"If you disable the grip safety, there is nothing to prevent the weapon from discharging if dropped." It better have a decent retainage system/whatever to handle being dropped or we'll rebrand it as a Sig.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts