Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted one of these for some time, so I'm pretty happy. I've got some warm-ish handloads that I developed for my H&R 732 that I'm looking forward to trying from it.

It had a whole lot of live rust on it when I got it, but it's mechanically very tight.

·
Premium Member
19,116 Posts
Congratulations! It looks like it scrubbed up pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
19,530 Posts
Congratulations on your new shooter. Which model is it? I don't have my catalog in hand and I'm not sure whice is built fro the .32 cartridge.

It looks pretty good for it being covered in rust when you got it. I have a Model 33 that I love shooting.
Please let us know how it handles your home loads. If it goes well, maybe post your recipie?

Gregory

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
That is a good looking revolver Eric. Just to satisfy my curiosity, what is the principal allure or use for a 32 long revolver? I mean I know it can be used for defense but there are more suitable calibers. Now when it just comes to shooting vintage revolvers for recreation I also understand. Now I went to a K-frame 32-20 for woods wandering in an area where there were no 4-footed large predators, figuring it was better than toting my K-22. I'm not knocking the 32, it's just that it has never elicited any great interest - aside from a fun gun.

Regards, Hank

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, they were used by police in days gone by, but this one is going to be for fun. I've found .32s to be accurate and they sure only use a teensy pinch of powder. They anchor small game better than .22 LR and don't damage meat any worse. Gearchecker, this would be a pre-Model 30, I suppose. Guy, thanks - I'm afraid I posted the two prettiest pictures - there are others that might make you gasp. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I posted a couple of pics of one very similar a week or so back that I just came into, but nickel, and mine has a flat latch. I don't know if that puts this one older or newer than mine, but so far I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

Steve

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Those are indeed fun little guns to shoot . Congrats !

I've got a Pre 30 which is just a little beauty .

If I could plink off my back porch I believe it would get more fresh air .

Regards ,
George

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,678 Posts
Cool.

I like my 1958 Model 30 (Imp. "I" frame) in nickel. I also have a modern ;) Model 30-1 J-frame (made in 1971). The M30:

The modern one: ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
1911 those are some nice looking .32s but I am confused. I see a strain screw on the front of the grip. An improved I and J frame does not have a strain screw right? I do not remember an I frame being square but frame. That one looks more like a K-frame.

·
Super Moderator
33,312 Posts
Those are some good looking revolvers!

·
Super Moderator
19,530 Posts
I have a snubby of the same model and it's so much fun to shoot. I'll bet that 3" barrel is really accurate. I guess the best reson to own one is just for fun. That's why I got mine. Sooner or later I'll probably load my own ammo for it, but for now I have a decent supply saved back.

Like your's, mine is a Pre-Model 30 as well.

Enjoy it in good health.
Gregory

Reactions: Erich

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,678 Posts
I see a strain screw on the front of the grip. An improved I and J frame does not have a strain screw right? I do not remember an I frame being square but frame.
You are correct. The Model 30 is a I-frame.

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shoots pretty well! :)

Didn't even have to go all the way up to Phil Sharpe country, but did go warmer than SAAMI now does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts