Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was browsing through a GA gun website similar to Armslist but much better IMHO. Saw this listed with the red dot sight and struck a trade for it all. It is new and does require some assembly so will do that and my cleaning then off to the range in a couple weeks. Have read some plusses and some concerns on gun. Being Hipoint is of a little less refined than others, is heavy and well made, has the lifetime warranty (have had Hipoints before and very good if needed. Am looking forward to range time with this. Currently only 10 round magazine but do know the 45 magazines work on 10mm. So Hipoint has 45 ACP mags in higher capacity so maybe will have one for this soon. One of the improvements is a soft cheek pad on stock that all say does help with recoil issues. Overall very happy with trade and looking forward to seeing increased energies in the longer barrels. The Sight Mark reflex dot is on lower cost end but does have respectable reviews. Will try iron sights first. Could be interesting Jeep gun for road trips. Does have threaded barrel for suppressor down the road. The stock is removable and has Plug screws if want to use as long barrelled pistol.
thumbnail2.jpg
thumbnai3l.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,292 Posts
I own each of the Hi-Point carbines, except for the new 10mm rifle. I have the 380 ACP, 9mm, 45ACP, and the .40 S&W models. They are unlike the Hi-Point handgun counterparts in that they are really reliable, and accurate enough for some really fun shooting sessions. They'll easily shoot 2-3" groups at 100 yds with a decent scope. I can't imagine there will be much recoil in the 10mm model. The 45 is really soft shooting.
Sure, they're all ugly, but the reliability and simple fun factor makes them a great value no matter what others might think of them.
Enjoy it in good health. If you tire of it, it'll sell quickly and for pretty close to what this was worth as new.

·
Premium Member
10,248 Posts
Is the 10mm version still direct blowback with a massive bolt? Of course the Thompson was essentially that design too.

I bet it will knock the knees off that red dot. Please let us know how things work out.

·
Super Moderator
19,292 Posts
Is the 10mm version still direct blowback with a massive bolt?
Yes it is, just like all of the others.

·
Premium Member
10,248 Posts
I saw the 9mm variation of this at a recent gun show I worked for GRNC, and I was impressed. It's compact and the action design is not complex.

·
Registered
20,434 Posts
Had one in 9mm and it was accurate and fun to shoot. But alas, I had to sell it so I could buy my M&P Sport 2 AR15.:) You should have much fun with yours.

·
Super Moderator
19,292 Posts
I want to get a gunsmith here to take off the front sight and thread the barrel on my 380 & 9mm Hi-Points. That way I can put a can on them both.
Cans make shooting so much fun.

WOW,
I just realized if I get a can for the 40/10mm I will also be able to use it for my 9mm & 380, because the bullets are all nearly the same diameter.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Hi Point! Great pistols! Great carbines! Never used one in 10mm, but the 9mm I used was a hum dinger! Just nothing but excellent function with any brand of ammo used. Doubtless you will find your 10mm to be the a hoot to shoot at the range. Out in the woods and fields it will be the bomb for small game ... even deer! After all, the 10mm in a handgun is a hot round. It'll be even better in a carbine! Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Resized_20180607_214220.jpeg
I pulled the iron sights off mine (I can't see them worth a darn). I did have some trouble at first, it does not like plated bullets. The plating would peel off when exiting the barrel resulting in a disturbing reduction in accuracy. Jacketed bullets work fine. I use the 180gr Hornady HAP over a dose of Longshot.

·
Registered
16,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
View attachment 444201
I pulled the iron sights off mine (I can't see them worth a darn). I did have some trouble at first, it does not like plated bullets. The plating would peel off when exiting the barrel resulting in a disturbing reduction in accuracy. Jacketed bullets work fine. I use the 180gr Hornady HAP over a dose of Longshot.
Thanks for the heads up on the bullets as I am waiting for the dies to start reloading.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I own each of the Hi-Point carbines, except for the new 10mm rifle. I have the 380 ACP, 9mm, 45ACP, and the .40 S&W models. They are unlike the Hi-Point handgun counterparts in that they are really reliable, and accurate enough for some really fun shooting sessions. They'll easily shoot 2-3" groups at 100 yds with a decent scope.
I really like my 9mm (I've had it since 2009), but the scope it came with (I got it used) sucked.

I could not get it sighted in at 25 yards, as it constantly drifted (randomly, one time the hole trail wandered up & left, another time straight right, etc) no matter what I did with/to the scope.

I finally removed the scope and re-installed the factory sights - it is now much more accurate!

I have been kind of looking for a 40mm, to match my Baby Eagle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts