Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gunsmith friend called and said they had just got this scarce Marlin 39D in and sent me these pictures. Well after a little talking and he gave me an excellent OTD price I told him would take it. I will pick it up next weekend when back in town. He sent these pics and thought would share them. Now can't wait to get it and hit the range. The scope is an old Japanese type with a German Post Reticle. Has a 20" barrel.
The Model 39D was made in '71 & '73 and there were 26,979 manufactured. The 1971 Model 39D has the white line spacers and a pistol grip cap and stopped production after one year. The Model 39D was reintroduced in 1973 without white line spacers and pistol grip cap. The 39D is a carbine like the 39M but has the pistol grip. does look to be in excellent shape. Will have a range report next Saturday.
thumbnail2.jpg
thumbnail7.jpg
thumbnai4l.jpg
thumbnail6.jpg
thumbnai8l.jpg

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
That looks like a dandy example of arguably one of the dandiest .22s made.
NO ONE should have to suffer thru life with out at least one Marlin 39 in his 22 stack.
Period.

·
Registered
20,451 Posts
Congrats on a nice score! Looks to be in fantastic condition. You'll have a lot of fun with that one.:)

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine is the '71 version with the white line spacers (I had to get it out to look). It has a Leupold 4X Rimfire Special scope on it. I had a 39A while I was in high school. Fine rifles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't consider that rifle scarce or even one of the most hunted of 39a's but it looks to be in fine shape and I think they are the great 22 rilfes. Maybe the best ever made and my favorite. I have two one is a 1964 Carbine model and the other a 1946.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Upgrade on the Marlin as I wet to clean it and broke it down and found a very heavy accumulation of cosmoline type grease all on the internals. I cleaned it out and really think this little gun has never been fired. except for the five I shot. Now all cleaned up and re-oiled and the action is very smooth. Talked with friend and he talked with origiinal owner and he said he bought it with scope and never shot it. Well it will be shot now on a regular basis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts