Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’m a newbie to the site. I traded for a Model 64-2 pinned barrel. I want to know when it was made. Mainly because I want to know if I made a wise choice trading for it. The pistol has nice wooden grips on it and hides the bottom of the frame. I think that’s where the serial number is at. But, I look at the number off the yoke. It’s c18 27757. Will that help anyone? Thank you in advance for any replies. Blessings

·
Premium Member
18,605 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Those are assembly numbers and are meaningless for dating the gun. You'll have to remove the grips to get the official number. The M64-2 with a pinned barrel was made from 1977 to 1982.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are older models more desirable and go for more money? Are pinned barrels going for more cost wise vs non pinned? This revolver is not perfect, it’s a 7 or 8 out of 10. The reason I’m asking because I treaded for it. In my research I see that model 64 are sold from $250-$400. But, not sure if the revolver being sold is pinned or not pinned and/or newer or older? Or even if it matters?
3F5568DF-543B-4893-8C1E-6E93CFC07A60.jpeg

·
Premium Member
18,605 Posts
Yes you have a pinned Barrel. And generally, many collector's prefer a pinned vs. Unpinned Barrel. Likewise, on Magnum guns and 22 Target Guns the cylinders are recessed. People look for P&R guns and they are more valuable than non-P & R guns

Guy

·
Registered
22,038 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
The 64 is lagging a little in what is an upward market for stainless, pre lock guns. Probably because there were so many produced for police service and a lot of them are pretty well used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts