Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a trade with a gent on the "other" (blue) forum. I don't know if he's a member here or not, but I did tell him about this great place. Anyhow, I advertised a 12-3 2" nickel for sale on the other forum about 2 months back...the gent offered me a 58 in trade. My 12 was in about 99% condition and vintage 1979. His 58 is about 90-93% (bluing wear at muzzle, and a couple of minor scratches on the barrel) and is an "S" serial #, vintage 1967. I wish I could post pictures, but sadly I can't. Think this was/is a good trade? He seemed happy to get a snub nosed K frame, because I guess he isn't into loading .41 mag. I am happy! I figure anytime one can trade straight-up a K frame for an N frame, life is good! :D

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
So, are ya askin' if I'd have made the trade?

Damn right I would have.

I have one and I have to screw up my courage to shoot it with factory loads, though. I shoot it with the original magnas on it and when I touch one off, that fool thing comes back at me like it was pissed off or something. Heh, heh, I fooled it. I reload. :D

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Ken,

Send me your snapshots and I'll put them up for you if you want....

I think that's a pretty good trade....

Model 12's are cool guns but can be a tough sell.

Drew

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Model 12's are cool guns but can be a tough sell.
Drew,

Not in my area.

A RB 2" M-12 is on my short "Grail List", but every time there's one available in my area it goes so faster than I can gain access to the coin to buy it.

Nickled one's go even faster... :cry:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Moon,

Up here they are a drug on the market.

2" Square Butts especially.

If they have any wear at all prices collapse.

I bought a new, complete, in-the-box, unfired 4" Blue, Round Butt Model 12 last year for $550 and the seller was ecstatic to off load it.

What are the prices like in your area?

Drew

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, $550 for a 4"...I remember "winning" a GB auction for a 4" SB 12 about 3 years ago at the exorbitant sum of $183! Gun looked unfired and was in at least 99%. I traded it off about a year and a half ago and realized $350 as trade bait. Not bad appreciation! ;)

Thanks for the offer of posting pics of my new 58 Drew. If you can believe it, I forgot to take pictures of it, as I was focusing on a pair of 30s and a "baby Chief" pre-36 that I have listed on the "other forum". :) Old age and forgetfullness is hell!! :lol:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Yeah Ken, I know all about that "Old Age" Thang..... got it goin' myself....

BTW, there's no way that I would have paid half that $550, but the Round Butt, Tapered Barrel combo really does it for me....

So tell me about the "Baby Chief".... I'm not allowed to see the "Classifieds" over there since I became a member over here the same day I was let out of the penalty box for ripping the nips off a troll ..... guess I was considered "State's Property".... :?

Drew

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
No sweat Ken! I've already got one anyways....

Good price by the way....

Drew

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Drew down here they run from $600-$650 for a nice blued example; and $50 more for a nickled one. j;zn;

Guess I'm getting nostalgic in my old age as I gravatate more to .38 spl.s here lately.

I don't know of any other gun that has as good a DA trigger pull as a slicked up well used K-frame.

Having a "light" one on your side with "six for sure" is very comforting! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MOONDAWG said:
Drew down here they run from $600-$650 for a nice blued example; and $50 more for a nickled one. j;zn;

Guess I'm getting nostalgic in my old age as I gravatate more to .38 spl.s here lately.

I don't know of any other gun that has as good a DA trigger pull as a slicked up well used K-frame.

Having a "light" one on your side with "six for sure" is very comforting! kfjdrfirii
Yep, very comforting, as long as you're not worried that its (aluminum frame) gonna crack on ya!!! :shock: :D

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Scrolling through this old thread and I have one each of the mentioned models, both have become safe queens, not seeing the light of day to often. I had a dealer offer me $750. for the 58 (LNIB), I have no idea what the model 12 is worth, but it would seem getting a 58 for a12 was a great trade for the recipient of the 58. Anyone have an idea what this 12 might bring?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Xfuzz said:
Triplelock..

With the right grips your beginning to nudge $500.00..
Therein lies the rub.... Model 12-3's and before had their own pattern of stock that were thinner that standard. Finding a correct set of round butt, non-diamond Model 12 stocks is going to be quite a challenge.... I usually get $75 a pair for good ones, more for mint condition.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Thanks Xfuzz, somewhere I have the original grips for the 12, which I will hunt up and place on it. It may become trading stock at the next gun show.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts