Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Track has this Danny Caywood for sale. I find this to be a bargain price on a very desirable gun. I've owned a pair of Caywood fowlers before and am awfully tempted by this gun.

I would bet the barn that this is an exceptional gun in a unusual caliber by today's standards. One of my favorite BP guns is in .32....

Anyway, I might go for this one....if I do I'll post some pics...

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Wow, the grain in that wood is superb!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dom,

Looks better on their site then my small pics...Here is the guns description.

Built in the Southern mountain style, this long rifle has been neatly fit and finished by Caywood Gunmakers. Stocked in curly maple the rifle is trimmed in iron furniture all of which has a dark pewter finish. Used the rifle has some handling marks in the stock, wear around the vent hole, and scratches on the frizzen from normal use. The .45 caliber bore is bright and ready to shoot. The Southern Mountain Rifle has a dark walnut finish with cherry red undertones.

The heart of the rifle is its .32 caliber swamped octagon barrel. The swamped barrel is thickest at the breech, tapers to a narrow waist, and flares slightly at the muzzle. Measuring 38” in length the barrel has smooth dark pewter-gray finish with some lightening around the vent hole from use.

Weighing in at very light weight 6.9 pounds even the rifle has a trigger reach of 13-3/4” making it well suited for today’s average size shooter.

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Giz, the craftsmanship really show in that piece. How do they get the pewter-gray finish? I know about blued and browned, but never heard of a pewter-gray finish?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too look at Track's site every week or so. Never have done business with them yet. I keep hoping to see a Green River Rifle Works full stock Hawken. I always wanted one of them and settled for one of their Lehman's .50 cal. years ago. It's long gone now.

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the gun is sold and I am not the buyer.... :cry:

But the good news is that it will be at this years Red Neck Shoot. One of our members bought it and it is due in tomorrow. So with luck I'll be able to shoot it...then wrestle with the owner and make him pry my clutching fingers off'n it before I give it back.... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've bought from them before, mixed results. Be sure and ask questions. They generally have good descriptions and pictures, just be sure everything is photographed.

rayb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts