Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in central IL. Archery season starts Oct. 1st, the first firearm season is in mid November, deer are very plentiful. Around here its corn and soybeans for as far as the eye can see. Typically most crops are harvested by now, but we had a wet spring, cool summer, and a wet fall, very few crops are out and it doesn’t appear like it will happen any time soon.

I have hunted with my buddy for years at his place for bow season and he joins me for shotgun/muzzleloader at the timber I have access to. For many years I always take a couple yearlings for the freezer early to mid October. We try to not take any small bucks and few mature does, mature does seem to bring mature bucks during the rut.

In past years it’s not unusual to see a dozen antlerless deer every time out, this year I saw one buck last weekend and thats it, they have no reason to come out of the corn, if the combines don’t get going soon firearm season could be lousy. We desperately need a good deer harvest every year around here; we already have chronic wasting creeping in. I have over twenty hours in the stand so far and have yet to attach my release. Here’s to hoping for some good drying weather.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Viss,

Here in Maine we're seeing the same sort of dilemma.... Acorns. Lots of Acorns. They're huge and everywhere.

In a typical year if you could locate a concentration of this mast crop you would find a concentration of deer. However this year, from what I've seen, the deer are scattered as the Oak Fruit is so abundant.

It will take the rut to bring the deer together this year I think.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Yeah it has not been anything to write home about here in the Adirondacks either, so far for all my efforts I have only caught one passing glimpse of a whitetail and it wasn't even enough of one to tell if it was a buck or doe (hind quarters view). Going back out this afternoon to try to improve the odds. If at first you don't succeed, then keep trying until you get laughed at enough to call it quits.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have fallen down because the number of acorns underfoot was like trying to walk on marbles, and I've seen 2 others fall for the same reason. Until the rut begins, probably the best one can do is watch a well used trail and hope for the best.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about deer in Maine,but when we have an unusually heavy mast crop,I look for a rub line or scrape line which is fresh and worked daily. At one end is usually a thick "bedding" area and the line will hopefully lead to a heavily used acorn source. Deer are social animals and will usually congregate at a particularly preferred food source where the sign will be heavier than general browsing areas. There is often a consistantly available water source nearby. That is where I would spend my time. JMO,FWIW. fhfjjjj
f.t.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
You boys ain't holdin' yore mouth right. You need to look in a mirror and practice. Part yore lips, just a little. Curl yore upper lip and snarl.

Yeah, like that.

I guarantee the deer will be beggin' you to shoot 'em.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cold country deer, of the non farmland variety run about two to the square mile... thats hard for you lucky bums with much higher density to even imagine... :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts