Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Need some advice. I have a very nice Model 28-2 w/a pinned barrel. Serial is N-506XXX. It has a little bluing wear on the muzzle and cylinder from holster carry. It came w/nice rosewood (non OEM) grips which fit me perfectly.

I've never heard that this model is overly collectible. Would a bit of touch up cause any problems??

Thanks,

I am John Gault

·
Registered
656 Posts
A little wear gives the gun character.

Some of mine have a LOT of character.

I would leave that 28 as is.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Cold Blue has a smell that can be detected easily. It's not permanent and does nothing to protect the gun. it is cosmetic for photography at best. I dispise the stuff and Collectors run for the hills when they get a whiff of it...

Really, the charm and credentials of a sidearm are established by it's unique wear pattern. 28's are workhorses intending for rough and tumble service. The fact that yours shows a little wear only indicates that it's doing it's job.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I agree about leaving it alone. But if you do decide to pretty it up I would try some of the blue wonder gun black and do a couple layers of the gun blue over that.Its easy to apply and dont stink.
I used it on a belgium browning high power a widows husband had steel wooled the blueing off the frame before he died.It came out looking like factory blueing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNrX9LFz ... re=related

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks,

I guess she'll just gather a little more "character". Damn fine gun, and accurate!!

Appreciate all your input. Pretty much confirmed my original thoughts, just wanted to make sure if I did touch up I wouldn't be totally destroying its value.

Thanks,
I am John Gault

·
Registered
11,672 Posts
John Gault said:
Thanks folks,

I guess she'll just gather a little more "character". Damn fine gun, and accurate!!

Appreciate all your input. Pretty much confirmed my original thoughts, just wanted to make sure if I did touch up I wouldn't be totally destroying its value.

Thanks,
I am John Gault
Hey John, how's about posting a pic? I think we'd all like to see her, "character" and all! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts