Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new member here, from Canada. Started handgun shooting a couple of years ago with a gorgeous S&W Model 617. After a lot of shooting and a lot of cleaning, I finally broke the yoke screw while reattaching the yoke and cylinder. It's a funny little screw with a spring loaded plunger in the end. You all know it, I am sure.

Finding a new yoke screw has been torture. I apologize in advance for dragging anyone through this tale of frustration.

Of course, none of the gunsmiths or dealers in my smallish city has the requistre yoke screw. They could order one though S&Ws Canadian agent, they all told me, but they all said the agent is hopeless and I would die of old age waiting for delivery.

None of the American online retailers will ship the item to Canada, apparently for legal reasons having to do with national security. When I called S&W, they likewise could not, for the same reason, send me the screw. I would have to deal with the the aforementioned Canadian agent, they said. When I called the agent, I was told they probably didn't have a yoke screw for me and that it would take weeks, at least, to order one. Send an email and they would look into it, they said. So I sent the email and got an auto-reply saying it would be four or five business days before they got around to it. I doubt I will never hear from them again.

It doesn't help at all that I got myself into this by carelessly breaking the screw in the first place. At least I got the broken end out without too much drama.

But now, my beautiful revolver is rendered useless and the simple part I need to fix it is cruelly denied me. Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks for your collective patience and any advice you can offer.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Been there. Have any friends in the USA? Tell them what to buy, Have them mail it to you and send them the money. I have done this with grips when shippung was insane or unavailable.

Numrich ships to Canada too.

As an aside, why where you removing this screw for cleaning?

·
Registered
24,433 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NW Pennsylvania.:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the idea, Brassmonkey.

In reply to your aside, I routinely remove the yoke and cylinder for cleaning because I find it easier then to ream out the chambers and barrel. Is this not standard operating procedure? Most of what I know about revolvers and handguns in general I learned from Youtube videos, so there is a good chance I am wrong about everything.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from So. Colorado!!!! The only time I remove the yoke is when it gets hard to open the cylinder which is......I don't know how long before it becomes necessary. Others may clean differently, just my style.

Gary

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Hey Dog. I have six of them in my armorers kit. Send me $15.00 and you address and ill send you one. Ill pay the shipping to Canada Private me for my address .

Layne12gun

·
Registered
768 Posts
There you go! You're all set. And no, I very rarely if ever remove that screw. I just clean stuff in place and blow out that area with compressed air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able today to order the yoke screw from Numrich, recommended above. I only had to check a box promising I would not transfer the part to any destination outside Canada without express approval from the US state department. From all the others, I got "CANNOT SHIP" after the rigamarole of completing the multi-part online order.

Many thanks for the advice, and especially to those who offered to send me the part. What a great forum. I should say I am loving my 617. Cheap to shoot, smooth as butter, no brass to sweep up, and a thing of beauty. We only can shoot handguns at a range in Canada, so I really don't need anything else.

·
Super Moderator
33,373 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Been there. Have any friends in the USA? Tell them what to buy, Have them mail it to you and send them the money. I have done this with grips when shippung was insane or unavailable.

Numrich ships to Canada too.

As an aside, why where you removing this screw for cleaning?
How else would one do it mate...? :)

Thewelshm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts