Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some pleasing results with the Ol girl. Loaded up 10 rounds of 37.4gr IMR4895, 168gr Hornaday Match and another 10 round of 38.8gr of IMR4895 with the 168gr Hornady Match.......

37.4 gr load at 100yds. 1st 3 shots at bottom, adjusted and fired 5 more shots

38.8gr load. All 10 rounds. 1st 5 round grouped close to one hole. Last 5 shots spread group out some. Warm barrel and me choking..........

Going to run some 150gr bullets next.....

What a great time my friend and I had. Made about half a day of shooting our M1's and pistols...took advantage of a Mild Winter day

As Ol Hickok says,"Life is Good"

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Looks like some good shooting to me. I'm glad you had a good day to play outside. It's been warm here also for the last few days, but that is supposed to start changing tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Very nice day at the range. You had very good company and glad when weather cooperates. That looks like some nice shooting there too with the old girl.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Looks like the usual poor 100 yard benchmark to me. People need to lose the 100 yard fantasy and get real at 200 yards, I quit reading any 'test' of accuracy at 100 yards because it's not a valid, real world test of anything except questionable downrange accuracy.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Excellent. I would be proud if I could shoot that well with irons.

I've tried for years to shoot my 42 Inland that well. I know it can shoot about 3 MOA because I've seen some old military types who can use irons shoot it 3 MOA, I just can't do it.

I never learned to use irons even tho I started hunting in the 60's and was in the military. Some pretty good scopes came on the scene in the 60's and my first rifle had one. My dad was a ww2 combat vet and he routinely shot deer at 200 yards with irons. I saw him shoot one at 300 plus. He actually preferred irons.

Probably doesn't help that my eyesight isn't the best anymore either. I still enjoy shooting that old carbine tho.

A relative (not a shooter) who was writing a ww2 novel asked if I had any ww2 weapons so he could get some hands on experience. He got some quality time on that carbine. :D

Although a lot of AR's come with irons I doubt very many people can use them.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
SF

You have become quite the sourpuss on this topic , and have made several such comments on other threads .

Perhaps many of us simply aren't the marksman that you are , nor do we aspire to be .

I would be more than happy with the results that Paul displayed .

Rather than rain on someone's parade , why don't you simply spend that time on a long distance shooter site ,
of which I'm sure there are several .

Regards
George

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
SF

You have become quite the sourpuss on this topic , and have made several such comments on other threads .

Perhaps many of us simply aren't the marksman that you are , nor do we aspire to be .

I would be more than happy with the results that Paul displayed .

Rather than rain on someone's parade , why don't you simply spend that time on a long distance shooter site ,
of which I'm sure there are several .

Regards
George
Plus with my 63 year old eyes....I do good to see at 100......
And if you want to know....I more than likely could not hit anything at 200...I'll admit it.
I post to show what a great time I had shooting...what it's all about to me.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
And if you want to know....I more than likely could not hit anything at 200...I'll admit it.
I am with ya Brotha. Ive been wearing glasses since the 2nd grade .Peep /receiver sights used to be my preferred iron sight but at 66 my progressing astigmatism fills a round peep full of cotton balls. Lucky to see a front sight let alone a bull at 100 yards. But NO crying about it , I still shootem anyway. FOR THE FUN OF IT !
Some folks have a different yardstick requiring a $5000 dollar "stick" with $1000 optics locked in a bench rest to measure accuracy. No one , with common sense, should compare a WW2 battle rifle with a long range ,hi tech rifle. Mordant comments of sour grapes with a light sprinkling of snobbery have no place here.
I shoot ANY kind of gun , some cheap , some spiffy for fun . I'm happy with any kind of results . Sometimes I stand on my hind legs and shoot . Man can that really spread them out.:eek:

I think your M1 is the bomb and is shooting ABOVE its expectations . GOOD JOB.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
If you have the opportunity/place/location to shoot beyond 100Yds, give it a try. It an educational experience. I've shot various M1 rifles (Winchester, International Harvester and H&R) at 200-300&500Yd lines. Its of value just to see what the rifle is capable of plus its a challenge for the shooter also.:)

·
Super Moderator
31,455 Posts
I am with you and George. I shoot for fun not to prove that I am a marksman!

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Dang, I just love to shoot my old WWII military rifles.;)

SA m1 Garand 1945
Saginaw M1 Carbine 1944
Smith Corona 1903A3 1943
K98 Mauser DOU 44
Enfield..Savage 1942

Dick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts