Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got the Ruger AR 556 out this morning. Range got busy so I did not shoot as much as I wanted too. Pretty muched zeroed in at 50 yds, back peep was nice. Made a windage adjustment and shot a decent 3 shot group at 100yds.
Boy that trigger...whew...pretty gritty takeup, but crisp let off. But Mi Spec, to be expected. Will definately get a trigger, maybe a Timney. Also got some scope mount and scope shopping to do....
Want to set her up for coyote and varment hunting......
Great rifle !!

IMG_3625.jpg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Nice!! with Ruger .. I would pull it apart and give it a good clean before i decided I needed a new trigger. My GP100 was TRANSFORMED when I just did a thorough cleaning. It seems machined bits in teh clock works is evidently ok :(

Nice shooting. I cant see anything at 100 yds any more but I was a killer shot with that platform when in the service... I was young and could still see!

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
+1 ^ Ruger's are somewhat infamous for being sent out grungy inside. I wouldn't do a trigger swap until it's been thoroughly scrubbed & a couple hundred rounds run through it.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice!! with Ruger .. I would pull it apart and give it a good clean before i decided I needed a new trigger. My GP100 was TRANSFORMED when I just did a thorough cleaning. It seems machined bits in teh clock works is evidently ok :(

Nice shooting. I cant see anything at 100 yds any more but I was a killer shot with that platform when in the service... I was young and could still see!
I am getting there on my vision with peep sights. Getting harder to see....

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Paul, I stripped mine down first thing. Clean and lube job. I felt the same way about the trigger. It was OK, but not great. I bought a Timney and I like the feel very much. One drawback with the Timney: My eyes are getting real bad up close and I had trouble getting those tiny set screws into the Timney past their spring arrangement. Several folks told me they like the Geissele in that rifle.

All that being said: I'm with that Injun fella that says clean her up first before you make a decision on the trigger. You might rather put your money into a scope of some variety.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do yourself a favor and try out the LaRue Tactical MBT 2 stage on sale now for only $80. (As low as $70 if you go in with some buddies and buy five like I did.)

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/?utm_source=LaRue+Tactical+Newsletter&-CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-=f7505991d9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_07_07_07_34&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_eca3a85af8-f7505991d9-309795041&mc_cid=f7505991d9&mc_eid=0885f70c2a

I recently installed one of these in my long range AR and I think it will be great for hunting.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Paul,

Fine shooting!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paul, I stripped mine down first thing. Clean and lube job. I felt the same way about the trigger. It was OK, but not great. I bought a Timney and I like the feel very much. One drawback with the Timney: My eyes are getting real bad up close and I had trouble getting those tiny set screws into the Timney past their spring arrangement. Several folks told me they like the Geissele in that rifle.

All that being said: I'm with that Injun fella that says clean her up first before you make a decision on the trigger. You might rather put your money into a scope of some variety.

Enjoy.
Boy, I looked up that Geissele Trigger. Looks easy to install..........

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do yourself a favor and try out the LaRue Tactical MBT 2 stage on sale now for only $80. (As low as $70 if you go in with some buddies and buy five like I did.)

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/?utm_source=LaRue+Tactical+Newsletter&-CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-=f7505991d9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_07_07_07_34&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_eca3a85af8-f7505991d9-309795041&mc_cid=f7505991d9&mc_eid=0885f70c2a

I recently installed one of these in my long range AR and I think it will be great for hunting.
Looks like a winner as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts