Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting pics of this rig in as found condition. The last time the knifes were out, they were used to cape out a Moose... I can remember years ago, lusting after a set of these original sets (not modern)...but could never afford the price. But at todays Ancient Ones gunshow in Augusta ~ A fellow had a price of $70 dollars on this set...

I'll get around to cleaning and restoring the knives and redoing the leather...but for now, this is as-found condition... :)

Knives of Alaska, Brown Bear set...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've always liked the Knives of Alaska brand. Like you just never could find the time or money for one. Giz, thats a very nice catch there!!! Can't wait to see them cleaned up, thrown down on some rocks or snow along side one of your fantastic Rugers!!!!!

Leighton

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Yesiree that was a bargain, IMO!

I frequently see used sets deeply discounted below what they cost new, but I've never seen a bargain like that! The used market is definitely where it's at with Knives of Alaska.

My bowhunter friends who chase wild pigs lust after the very set you have.

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Brown Bear Cleaver/Skinner is a very interesting idea. Must be, seeing as so many knife makers have now copied the example of a Eskimo Ulu incorporated in it's end. It is a hefty cleaver but will make an excellent skinner due to the blade design. I see it as an excellent camp tool.

The little Cub Bear Caping Knife is lightweight and designed for fine detail work. This blade is ideal for the fine work and the choils in front of the handle for thumb and index finger will give for close work.

What I like is this older style riveted sheet with the two tie downs. It has a pocket for a diamond sharpener incorporated in it. For a working knife set, the Sure-Grip makes more sense then the much more expensive Stags...

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I like the fact that the snap for the cleaver is on the side of the handle instead of being on top where everything in the world can grab it an unsnap it. Some well thought out work went into the design of both the sheath and both blades. I have always liked the other style with the large bowie, and small caper, though either to own would make me happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts