Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I just received my new to me Model 29-2 6.5", never shot with box, paperwork and cleaning tools. I originally bought this revolver thinking that I would like to go out and shoot it, you know, squirrels, sparrows and such. Maybe that ugly little rat faced neighbor dog crapping in my yard. But... After seeing what I bought and how it is in absolute perfect condition, less a very faint turn line. I am now wondering if I just should keep it safe and leave it alone. I mean, I am serious OCD and it is flawless, not anything wrong with it whatsoever. I don't know, ultimately, it's my choice but I am seriously a little lost at the moment. Some thoughts would be helpful all.

DOM, anyone help me with this? SN N6xxx9.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I also purchased a Model 19-5 two months ago. I bought it from a gentleman that father passed. He told me the long story about how his father loved the Dirty Harry movie and always wanted a revolver like it but bought this one as it was pretty close. Anyway, has to grand total of 50 rounds through it so I can shoot it and feel at ease.

DOM, anyone with info on this one also? SN 148Kxxx.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver

· Registered
18,123 Posts
Those are sweet. The model 29 was shipped in the 1972-74 timeframe and the 19 is from 81 if that's a 124K and from 82 if it is 125K or higher.
As far as shooting the model 29 goes, I bought this pristine model 36, with box about 11 months ago. It's been out to the range once and is due for a 2nd trip. That kind of tells you my answer.
Revolver Rectangle Material property Wood Bullet

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, stunning Model 36. Yours looks very close to one I have on my watch list, just beautiful. And nickel of top of it. Not sure if I would shoot a pristine nickel 36, guess I just need to get over it. Thank you for the info and sharing your photo.

· Registered
18,123 Posts
Wow, stunning Model 36. Yours looks very close to one I have on my watch list, just beautiful. And nickel of top of it. Not sure if I would shoot a pristine nickel 36, guess I just need to get over it. Thank you for the info and sharing your photo.
My guns are all shooters. The 36 will be shot very little. When I bought it, the revolver was advertised as " Possibly unshot". Since there was doubt if it was or not, I decided to be sure.

· Registered
42,106 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on scoring 2 fine revolvers. Every firearm I have I purchased to use, no safe queens here, although, I do have a few revolvers that could be labelled as such ( my 15-3 and 19-4).

15-3
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood

19-4
Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory

Both are a joy to shoot and it's soon time to get them back out for some more fun. Enjoy yours and do what makes you happy.

· Registered
6,199 Posts
IMO it's your call, I am reasonably sure it was fired at the factory.
If you shoot it just take care of it and I am sure it will outlast you and not lose any value.
I have a couple that are as nice as the day I bought them forty years ago.
By the way those are sweet revolvers, welcome from Northern Illinois..

· Registered
2,134 Posts
I have a 13-1 that looks to be never fired. I don't care as I just like looking at it. Just because it's a gun it doesn't mean you need to shoot it. I collect the early Browning knives, dosesn't mean I need to stab someone. :ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
464 Posts
If you don’t shoot it, it is an investment. If you shoot it, you will want to shoot it more.
I only have a couple guns I have not shot, mostly because they are not safe to shoot! Partly because I can’t find or reload any ammo for them. The rest all get shot, some more than others. To me it’s like owning a tool and not using seems a waste. But it is your call. Like some people think it is awful to put rubber grips on a classic, If it’s yours you can paint it green if you want to. They are great looking guns, I would not be able to sleep knowing I had not had a chance to shoot them!

· Registered
251 Posts
Today I just received my new to me Model 29-2 6.5", never shot with box, paperwork and cleaning tools. I originally bought this revolver thinking that I would like to go out and shoot it, you know, squirrels, sparrows and such. Maybe that ugly little rat faced neighbor dog crapping in my yard. But... After seeing what I bought and how it is in absolute perfect condition, less a very faint turn line. I am now wondering if I just should keep it safe and leave it alone. I mean, I am serious OCD and it is flawless, not anything wrong with it whatsoever. I don't know, ultimately, it's my choice but I am seriously a little lost at the moment. Some thoughts would be helpful all.

DOM, anyone help me with this? SN N6xxx9.

View attachment 587999
Your quandary is what keeps me from buying "collector grade" guns. I want to be able to shoot them without hurting their value.

· Registered
219 Posts
Well, I can be the same way. But, if you're going to be that way in regards to shooting/not shooting, then you'd better have deep pockets. Reason is, buy one to shoot and buy one to keep unfired. I've been that way for over 30 years, but not so much lately. I have a Model 63 sitting in a box and a Model 63 that goes with me to the lake.................the struggle is real.

Leland

· Registered
251 Posts
I don't worry about value. I didn't buy my guns to resell. I bought them to enjoy. Therefore when I'm gone my kids can keep or sell.
That reasoning is why I'm buying more guns lately. I'd rather have them inherit guns than cash because I can enjoy the guns in the mean time...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts