Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Model 66-3. It's one of my favorite shooters and I'm just curious what you would think of having it polished to a high gloss finish.
I see quite a few wheelguns here that look to be highly polished Stainless Steel models.
Are these polished by the members, or are they received that way from the factory.
I know they aren't all nickel plated. I really like the high polish look and wondered what you all think of it.
And lastly, would polishing it reduce the value to a point where it would be foolish to do so?
I don't plan to sell it off, buy I can never say never.
With medical emergencies and all that happen in life.
Before I do something stupid, I thought I'd ask the experts (You Guy's and Gals).

I look forward to your answers
Gregory

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Gregory I know you will get a lot of different answers, But for me personally I can't keep my Cotton pic ken fingers from molesting a gun every ones in a while. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
570 Posts
well heres the good thing about stainless....... yea sure polish it up... make it nice & shiney... doesn't matter.. if you get tired of it.. either have it blasted back to a satin finish. or a few hours rubbing with a "gray" scotch bright pad..and your back to almost factory finish..
heres mine....a 66-2 with the carry SIG...p220

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is my 66, Tell me what you think
Polish or not? I vote yes!
BTW, I have all the leading cleaned up from the cylinder face.

·
Super Moderator
33,363 Posts
gearchecker said:
Here is my 66, Tell me what you think
Polish or not? I vote yes!
Looks like you have your answer already.

Have what you want while you are alive and can enjoy it. ;)

·
Administrator
8,182 Posts
I say go for it! It's your gun, so do what you want.. I've polished a few, and it actually made them easier to sell.

Also, as kritter pointed out, it's not that hard to put it back to original.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have a 686 bought used with a high polish. Dealer said the polish made the gun 100 bucks cheaper. Sat unsold in his case for a long time until I came along wanting a IDPA shooter. I was happy to get the low price.

Boats

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've decided with your help I'm going to polish it.

Now, the next set of questions.

Can I polish it using my drill press on slow speed and a polishing wheel?
I actually polish my silverware in it. I set it a 650 Rpm and used MAS Silver polish.
It worked very well and didn't take off the finish either. Can I do the same with my 66?

How do I remove the cylinder from the frame without ruining my revolver? I've never removed one, but I see some posts where the cylinder is removed.
Is it easy to do, and then get put back together, or should I take it to my gunsmith and have him do all the work and polish for me?

Can you please add some more advice for me?

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Gearchecker, IMO I would not use any power equipment to polish it. Use some Flitz or Mothers Mag and an old tee shirt, sit in front of the TV and polish away for a few hours. try to polish in the direction the oringnal finish was done. You can also get some never dull and use that. It won't come out supper glossy but will come out nice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
While I agree that you should do what you wish to your revolver to please yourself, and I think a high polished 66 is a beautiful revolver, I would emphatically second the idea of doing it by hand.

I have a high polished 66 no dash. It was a former Chicago PD revolver that was sent back to the factory by the owner for a factory high polished finish.

It looks like brilliant bright nickel, and is mistaken for such at the range. Unlike nickel, it will never yellow or peel.

I use Mothers Mag Polish and an old Hanes T-shirt to polish my stainless sixguns. Go slow and in line with the grain of the stainless and you will be very pleased with the results.

I put some faux ivory grips on mine and made it my barbeque sixgun. Good luck! Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
197 Posts
all GOOD points above ,and why not have what YOU want it like, nice thing about that stainless, you get bored, you can always put it back ( as long as you do NOT get carried away with "Power tools") kubvcabo

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had a fair amount of experience around grinders and buffers. One thing to watch out for, especially if you are using any type of power buffer, sharp edges on your lettering will have the tendency to dull and not be as crisp. Same with sights, etc. Practicing a little patience in these areas and not pushing too hard will give a better result. 2345ll

·
Registered
593 Posts
Shine it

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
gregory ,

As much as I like a nice nickel , I actually prefer a more satin finish on a stainless .

My Ruuger and the 686 have a nice satin look .

I think for a keepsake the high polish is pretty decent , but for me a shooter looks fine in a satin ,
whereas a high polish looks a bit too fancy - for me .

As regards to pulling out the cylinder I imagine Mr Kane could do it , so you prob can also !

On the right side above the trigger and below the cylinder is a screw .
Unscrew it and the assy will slide right out when you release it .
Use a good , well fitting screwdriver ( hollowground is best ) and don't bugger up the screwhead or slip and ********up the sideplate .

For those that need video , here you go - WARNING , this guys camera manipulations may make you dizzy !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mmYeQBBn5A

If you do decide to polish -
Many tape over the stampings to protect them .
Be extra careful on the edges , keep strokes flat .
I wouldn't use any power tools .

Most of all , do what makes you happy !

Regards ,
George , I believe the De'Lorean ( Back to the Future ) was more of a satin look !

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I say go for it! It's your gun, so do what you want.. I've polished a few, and it actually made them easier to sell.

Also, as kritter pointed out, it's not that hard to put it back to original.
I agree with these guys. It's your gun and in a hundred years from now no one will care. Fix-em' up the way YOU like and enjoy them.
gh

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
well heres the good thing about stainless....... yea sure polish it up... make it nice & shiney... doesn't matter.. if you get tired of it.. either have it blasted back to a satin finish. or a few hours rubbing with a "gray" scotch bright pad..and your back to almost factory finish..
heres mine....a 66-2 with the carry SIG...p220
[/QUOTE

Best advice yet. I have polished a few, by hand with Mothers, and man it looks like nickel. Easy to bring it back to original shape.

·
Registered
20,147 Posts
My M-67 had the high polish finish from S&W. I found that when shooting in the sunlight, the polished metal tends to glare, making sighting difficult. For a safe queen, it looks good.........for a shooter, I prefer a satin finish. When I had some work done at S&W, they buffed the entire gun, to get out some scratches. They gave it a nice satin finish, at no charge.... I prefer it, that way. It looks like an old, used gun .......which it is.

My M-66-1 also is highly polished from S&W. (Guess I'm attracted to shiny objects) Mostly, it sits in the safe, though I do shoot it once in awhile. Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts