Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited the gun shop where I picked up my M36 a few weeks ago and now they have a really seductive M60 in satin stainless - nice and all original that's also a detective trade in. This one is clean with very little wear and tighter than my M36. Asking price is only $330.00 for the 60.
I have a quandry now since I just bought a M36 recently and am hopelessly hooked on revolvers. This 60 is calling...
My question is which revolver is more desirable; a mocel 36 1-7/8 in nickel, or the model 60? You can tell that I'm looking to justify another...
Regards,
RR

have a quandry to deal sith now

·
Registered
753 Posts
You sound like me. No wonder I have so many guns stuffed in the safe!

The blue guns look nice, but the stainless can be cleaned up with a little polish to make them look new. Which is better? It's all with what you like.

Now for the personal advise: I would go hammer less. I had the 60's then I started carrying more seriously. I found the hammer would scratch my skin and catch my clothes. So I went to the hammer less models like the 640 & 649. Just trying to save you from buying and selling it later. fhfjjjj

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
It mainly depends on your pocket book .The value of a smith and wesson is not going to go down and they are like money in the bank.If you can afford the model 60 then I would buy it.Later on if you want a hammerless like 500 magnum nut says buy that too.
Its all good. Of course you can view me like that little devil cartoon sitting on your shoulder wispering in your ear saying "Buy it".

·
Registered
273 Posts
A good 60 at that price is a good buy. I have a nice blue 36 but for actual carry on hot summer days were the gun is going to get sweat on it stainless is a better way to go. My case hot weather it's a Scandium/Ti 342. If that 60 at just over 300 bucks was around here I would buy it myself.

On the hammer, if the gun is fairly new and not any sort of collectable it's prime for bobbing. Add a nice pocket holster and very few are better for carry.

Boats

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Model 60 is a great gun. Stainless is easy to keep clean. I've got a late-model Model 60, .357 Magnum, 2 1/8-inch barrel, and it is a joy to carry! Get a good IWB holster and/or a pocket holster, and you're set.

That's a nice price that the Model 60!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I must live in the wrong area! My model 60 no dash cost me a model 57-1! Prices at the gun show are in the mid to high 400's around here in the northwest. Buy it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...

I looked at the group of model 60's that they had and then saw a shooter grade model 10-6 4" bull barrel in nickel finish and scooped it up for $240.00! It's finish is not as nice as the 60's, but there is a lot of potential in the 10. The nickel has a lot of 'fogging' and one small ding , so this is going to be a project gun to see just how much of the original lustre can be brought back. The grips are original, but need some work as well. If nothing else, I have a solid shooter that is fairly tight.
This shop still has 5 model 60's and two more model 10's along with a few other unusual S&W's - all are 38's. My friend bought a 10-5 in blue with the thin barrel - exceptionally nice for $280.00
I'll post pics as soon as i pick up the 10.
Thanks to all here for the excellent information - you've brought me back to appreciating the older classic wheel guns that S&W made. Next I'd really love to find a reasonable model 19 or 66...![http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/jwr0201/IMG_0067.jpg[/IMG
my model 36
RR

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
What part of the country are you located? Those prices you're quoting are hard to come by around central Arizona. From what you're describing, I'd be scooping up a gun a week! kubvcabo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Blackcloud2 said:
What part of the country are you located? Those prices you're quoting are hard to come by around central Arizona. From what you're describing, I'd be scooping up a gun a week! kubvcabo
Maybe two. I actually travel a lot and window shop coast to coast and have obviously not been to your area. :cry:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bear with me - I'm still getting the hang of this posting photos! Posted before - this is the model 36. Very happy with it - looks good noe and will look much better after I get to cleaning & polishing.
RR[
][/PhotoBucketVideo]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in the Central Florida area.
I can tell you that I've not seen this before either. This shop picked up a group of 38's that were police / detective pistols in their previous lives. Aside from the 60's and 10's, they have two slightly more costly 38's that are in pretty nice condition - not shot much and very nice blueing. One is a blue 1.78" model 36 with pinned barrel $450.00. I didn't check to see if it was a dash-something. The other is a very light (airweight/aluminum frame - ?) 38 - model 33, I think, with 4" barrel. It is definitely a J-frame and very small in overall size. It's a 'Regulation Police Revolver' - discontinued in 1974, I was told. Price on that was $350.00
If anyone is coming to FL, let me know if you need the contact information.
RR

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Those are good prices. I think lots of retiree guns end up down there and get sold to the shops by widows who don't want them in the house anymore. I know our board member/friend CXM has found some really great examples since he moved there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts