Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After casting 75# of bullets, emptying 5 very full 1# (plus) bottles of powder, seating 5K + primers, setting 1,500 jacketed bullets on top of the case, I am tired of reloading, tired of casting, tired of HGTV channel, and tired of tumbling brass to remove case lube. My wife is adament that "We have to stay home and be safe" because some political idiot said so.

I've been to the range 3 times, twice it was closed, so I waited 2 hours for the delayed opening. I don't know about Corvid-19 deaths, or the current murder rate, but I am very familar with the interior walls of this house. All I want is one day with winds below 10 MPH, and I'm out the door to the lake for fishing.

If this keeps up I'm going back to Page 1 and start reading the Political Funnies Thread again. Lord, please let this quarentine end before something terrible does happen. My wife has sown 50+ masks for family and medical friends. I will not start cutting fabric and sewing masks together -- NOT YET​, but I'm close.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Keep your chin up mate, at least you cast...an extra step..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know the feeling. I still have unloaded brass in my buckets, but I have more loaded now than I will probably use in the next 2-3 years. I have 1 1/2 years worth of trap/skeet loads on hand, and about a case and a half of 22RF. I've been taking apart and cleaning and lubing S&W revolvers, and doing a few trigger jobs, but I'm about to the point where a;; that need it are done. I'm hoping things loosen up soon. I've only sneaked out to the range once in the last 60-8 weeks. Trap league on hold, hopefully mid May start up.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
I could load up a few thousand 38s; but I haven't found that magical load just yet so I load 50 at a time to shoot in a few guns. Now I just have to get to the range to see what is what.
Did a major shopping trip today - one nice thing about most folks staying home Walmart, Costco and Sam's Club were pretty empty of people. Still amazes me how many are not wearing any PPE and seem oblivious how close they get to others. It definitely seems to be more prevalent in one ethnic group over the others.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
All I do is handload. No range issues, my range is 50 yards from the reloading bench. 300 yards if necessary. Got my chrono steel for the handguns and the backstop at 300 for the long guns.

Haven't shot a factory round in 10 years at least but then all I load if FMJ's.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
I could load up a few thousand 38s; but I haven't found that magical load just yet so I load 50 at a time to shoot in a few guns. Now I just have to get to the range to see what is what.
Did a major shopping trip today - one nice thing about most folks staying home Walmart, Costco and Sam's Club were pretty empty of people. Still amazes me how many are not wearing any PPE and seem oblivious how close they get to others. It definitely seems to be more prevalent in one ethnic group over the others.
Hey AD,

158gr LRN/LSWC sized to .358". 4.5gr UNIVERSAL. Fed 100.

800fps from 6" revolver.

Later, Mark

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
I understand how you could get tired of reloading, it's very tiresome counting out all of those little grains of powder. 😄

I don't count them. Use my Harrell Culver powder measure and top off if necessary with an electronic trickler that has an electric eye on it. Is accurate within 1/10th if a grain. The Harrell with throw within 1/4 grain consistently. Once I get a rhythm going, it's very smooth. Throw a charge, dump it in the trickler pan, push the button and it's there. Dump it in the case and move on. I'll load 100 cases and then seat the pills.

I need to be extremely consistent, especially with long gun loads where a 1/4 grain difference impacts ES and velocity. Not so much with handgun loads.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Hey AD,

158gr LRN/LSWC sized to .358". 4.5gr UNIVERSAL. Fed 100.

800fps from 6" revolver.

Later, Mark
Been using Win Sp in lieu of Fed; loaded upsome more with two new-to-me bullets, a Bayou coated 158 LSWC and a RMR 158 plated HP. For decades my go to was a 158 LSWC from Western NV/West Coast Bullet (which became Xtreme and I heard moved away from Carson City). Once I find a load that does good in my 4" 66 and snubbie 19, then it's starting cranking on the LnL. When I think how I use to load up a large metal ammo can using a RCBS Jr. single stage, my shoulder winces!...........😆

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
I'm shooting, loading, plowing and planting. It's great to live in the country. BTW wife gets bored inside so we go for long rides in the truck.

Doing the same but not in that order. We jump in the side by side and go spy on the neighbors... (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts