Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a sweet, early (611xx) K22 Masterpiece. My only complaint is that it really collects lead flash on the face of the cylinder. When I was a kid (many, many years ago), my dad and I used mercuric oxide to remove lead (no lectures,please!). Of course, this stuff is no longer available. Short of 0000 steel wool, what's really effective in removing this lead build-up :?:
TIA,
OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK
Life member (since 1962), NRA

·
Banned
732 Posts
Soak the cylinder face in Kroil. It will get under the lead plating & loosen it. You should then be able to remove it with a stiff nylon bristle brush.

Bruce

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bruce-Thanks for the suggestion. I just happen to have a can of KROIL. Will soak overnite and scrub with an old toothbrush "next year" (tomorrow) :D
Happy New Year!
OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Birchwood Casey makes a Lead Wipe Cloth that is a combination of coarse material and a mile abrasive. Pretty effective. I use it on the face of stainless cylinders and it removes lead flash, carbon and other black gunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sebago Son- Thanks for the tip. I've got Model 60's and '66's that could benefit from it but does this abrasive cloth affect affect a blued finish?
OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
So far, I've not seen any deleterious effects on Blued Steel.

I also use it in the bores and cylinders if leading is persistent.

·
Banned
732 Posts
Watch yourself using the Lead Wipe cloth on a blued gun. Anything that is even mildly abrasive will eventually go thru the bluing, even Flitz. I would use all non abrasive methods before resorting to something like that.

Incidentally, Kroil will get under copper fouling also. Just soak a fouled bore for a day or two and see what can be brushed out of the bore.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
+1 on the Kroil. I mix it 50-50 with my Copper Solvent, soak down the bores of my Garands with a soaked patch, let it sit ten minutes, run a soaked brush through about five times, let it sit ten, run another soaked patch through. The copper comes out in strands sometimes, but it all comes out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts