Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a Hunting, Fishing, and Camping forum without a tick thread?

Took the Remington 721 out to the woods for a bit of fun day before yesterday. Came home with just a little more than memories.. a blood sucking traveller made the journey with me nestled quietly in my .. er..nether regions. Made the mistake of using the old hot match head removal technique to try to dislodge the little F-er. Anyhoo.. I now have a dime sized red ring surrounding the site and a general soreness that threatens to put an early end to a date I had scheduled for tonight.

Note: do NOT use a lit cig, a hot match head, petroleum jelly, dish soap, etc to remove a tick! Other than the obvious fire hazard and general weirdness surrounding petroleum jelly (what IS that stuff used for?!) these folkloric techniques actually cause the tick to regurgitate its stomach contents while it is still attached to your.. what-have-you.. and in doing so cause you to have..... bad times. Removal is safest with tweezers or a forceps close to the skin. No twisting necessary as they are not threaded.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I hate ticks, but am afraid that they have become a way of life here in the spring and early summer. Tell me though, once you found that one how many more were you convinced that you had on you? A thousand, right? That's the part I hate most!

G

·
0 Posts
What size tick was it...and do you have Lyme Disease in your area? A bullseye shaped ring is a very good indicator of a infected tick, Amigo.

If this was a deer tick, run...do not walk, and seek treatment...

giz

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I kill them with 90% rubbing alcohol. Kills them almost instantly, then in about 5 minutes they usually relax. The 90% kills everything, including any germs the tick might puke up.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cush,
"A thousand ticks"... classic curse material.

Giz,
Yep I have an appt. with the Dr. on Monday. The ring showed up within 24 hrs, which is unusual for Lyme disease. On the other hand I don't know what other evil these diminutive and hateful beings harbor. It sure does NOT feel right down there. It is a hard bodied deer tick.. the kind that does carry Lyme, and we do have Lyme in the County. Good times, bro.

Geoff,
I like your style. My 'lil buddy is currently swimming his last backstroke in 80% ethanol. Next time (God forbid) I'll dose the entire area.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Dan,

Tics are the curse of the outdoorsman.

I got Lyme's without the bullseye.

I've also been bitten again since and the bullseye showed up.

Massive antibiotics were the therapy at the time.... probably still is. No signifigant adverse long term results so far.

Don't screw around with this stuff (pardon the obvious proximity joke here).

Squeezing a tick even with a tweezer is one sure way to induce the injection of the spirokete that spreads Lyme's. There is a tool that looks alot like a cigar cutter that dislodges the buggers without spilling their guts. Failing that using a stright pin and a good glass, it is possible to insert the pin between his bitting tools and pry the little bastid off. Treat the site with ISP immediately. Sometimes they will leave a biter in the wound and that can get infected.

BTW, Pet-Jelly is for smearing on your battery terminals.... that is until you start dating older gals..... :shock: :oops: :D

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Lighter fluid. Works for me. Those blood suckers back right out. We've got limes here, but no Lyme's. I carry a Zippo most places I go and a small container of lighter fluid is almost always someplace handy. The Mexican Yard Rats masquerading as dogs will usually pick up a tick or two during the summer months. Lighter fluid works well on them, too. Gaaah! I hate ticks!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I always heated up the tip of my poclet knife with a lighter and touched it on them and they backed right out.I didnt know they would peuke back in you.
The worst ticks I ever seen were in williston North Dakota.My dad and I went out there and worked a summer building oil rig pads and camped by the river.
One night was enough for us. Just walking aorund the camp area we both picked up about ten each but discoverd them and got them off before any any latched on to our skin.
The ones in north Idaho carry lyme but instead of the grass like North Dakota they get out on tree branches and you brush under a tree they drop on to your head and neck.
Horrible little creatures.The spring and early summer they are worst and gone by fall.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All symptoms now gone..? I had an appt. but cancelled it. Feeling great.. other than the bad back, crooked neck, chronic hair loss, etc ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
ICK...Ticks...we seem to have had tons the last few years. Last year I had one in my forearm and I removed via the tweezer method.
Got tested and was negative for lymes disease. Though my boyfriend is still freaked over it.

Last week while mowing I had one crawling in my hair and onto my face, felt something crawling and brushed it off, yep, a tick...I squeeled and ran like a girl...wait...I'm a girl and allowed to do that.

I did get it and kill it off with alcohol...

I didn't tell the boyfriend though, he might quarantine me in the house.

Thanks to our pal Kritter, I have an order in at the local feed store for Guinea Hens....the boyfriend is going to be a Guinea Hen farmer....

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Annie Oakley said:
Thanks to our pal Kritter, I have an order in at the local feed store for Guinea Hens....the boyfriend is going to be a Guinea Hen farmer....
Great Idea and I can attest to it's effectiveness.... however I will say that Hens give better fruit..... :p

·
Super Moderator
10,892 Posts
I hate those darn Guinea hens. :evil: They're always in the middle of the road and they are too dumb to get out of the way.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Forester said:
I hate those darn Guinea hens. :evil: They're always in the middle of the road and they are too dumb to get out of the way.
Tough to see too..... until you're right on top of them..... I have to say that I think I've hit one before. Another thing is that they range too far from home when loose and not watched.... Thy're alot smaller than a hen and I don't think they'd stand up as well to a house cat....

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
QC........do you light 'em up too??? The ticks....not the older gals. :lol: Bob

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
ARGGGGH, now y'all got me scratching! And I'm inside a building at work.
I spend enough time outdoors at home that I've become used to checking myself over for those nasty bugs.

I make sure my son's are aware of the ticks too. And that they know what to look for.

Dan, good to hear all is well. Just keep paying attention if anything shows up!

Chris

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Nframe said:
Dan, good to hear all is well. Just keep paying attention if anything shows up!

Chris
That's as good an excuse as any to take your pants off..... "Honey, can you look at this? I can't quite see from here....."

:twisted:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts