Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention something weird about the 5906 I just picked up. At some time during its checkered life, someone had drilled and tapped 4 holes in the top of the slide. They were plugged with set screws, I assume to keep debris out. The front two holes are all the way through the slide, the rear two holes are only a millimeter or so deep. I was racking my brain to figure out what purpose these would serve. I originally thought of maybe a scope mount but figure anything mounted atop the slide would impede case ejection, would it not? Maybe someone had mounted a rail system?

Here's a pic of the tapped holes (set screws were removed prior to taking the photo). Never seen anything like this before. Any ideas what someone would be mounting atop the slide? holes.JPG

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's for a scope rail. I looked at a colt series 70 with the same holes and would have bought if not for the high price. The price was for a stock series 70. No thanks.
Thanks, I figured that's what it was. I'd have thought a slide-mounted scope would be problematic on a semi-auto, due to the shock of reciprocation, plus anything mounted topside would impede case ejection. Hmm... At least the price was relatively cheap. Is there any way to fill in the holes to make it look almost normal again?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I figured that's what it was. I'd have thought a slide-mounted scope would be problematic on a semi-auto, due to the shock of reciprocation, plus anything mounted topside would impede case ejection. Hmm... At least the price was relatively cheap. Is there any way to fill in the holes to make it look almost normal again?
Easiest way would be to put the set screws back in and live with it....or drop in some welds and then sand them smooth...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Screw you a brass name tag on it and call it bling . fnovnpoa

Look for a flat bottom Weaver base to fit the screw spacing either fore or aft. Then you could probably mount a red dot or reflex and have some fun.

·
Premium Member
12,722 Posts
I got a CMP Garand rifle that had been drilled for a grenade launcher sight. With a little thread work, and the right hex set screws to seal the holes, it's worked great for more than a decade. In this case, they are plugging holes in the wood stock.

i'd re-insert the set screws with a little LocTite that permits future removal. Something like the green 290 threadlocker (uses heat to remove if you ever do later). This will prevent recoil impulse and vibration from ever backing them out.

Reactions: Hunter and Nrah

·
Banned
917 Posts
At a glance, I would guess they tried a Holo or reflex sight on the front, then the rear, of the side.
Leave the screws be, it's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I decided that shooting it is more fun than worrying about it, so I screwed the plugs back in and went out to the range. It was 68 degrees today, such a gift doesn't come along very often in January!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts