Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So no one knows, but you think I should justify my request; isn't that interesting. I will be practicing on my property and it would not bother the neighbors as much. Are you satisfied now?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So no one knows, but you think I should justify my request; isn't that interesting. I will be practicing on my property and it would not bother the neighbors as much. Are you satisfied now?
You gotta love when people question your very reasonable question. I usually say because I want it or because AMERICA, that’s why. End of story. Anyways I’ve owned an EZ 9 for a year now and have yet to find anything whether made specifically for it or a model that would match the requirements to fit.

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have never seen a threaded barrel for a Shield EZ offered in the marketplace.

Before you proceed on your project, there are likely a number of issues that could interfere with making a suppressor perform well on one of them.

The linkages that balance the EZ are fairly complex and lightweight internally. I know that a number of them have failed with the masses involved in the gun itself very early in the firearm's service life. This is anecdotal, but I have observed them fail new out of the box. The design impresses me as both more delicate and complex than the original Shield.

The addition of the mass of the suppressor and it's piston forward on a barrel that you fabricate may be too much for the design to handle. I'm not saying that getting it to work is impossible - it's just that I'm not aware of it being done and that it may be more difficult than in a more traditional full size pistol design.

If you do proceed on the project, please keep us updated on progress.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I applaud your wish to make less noise to keep from distubring your neighbors as much as possible, but the EZ is not going to let you do that.

The EZ's were deisgned for a certain niche market. They are NOT Shields in any way, shape or form and it is very unfortunate that S&W gave them that name. It gives people the idea that they will function like a real Shield and they do not. Not at all.

Basically, they were made for and mostly work for people with very reduced strength and endurance who only stand and shoot at paper. And they don't even work for "all" in that category because a lot of people whith severe arthritis cannot hold the grip high and tight enough to depress that stupid upside down safety and keep it depressed while shooting.

That is not what I want in a gun, and not what most actual "shooters" want, but that is what you get. I did not know that when I bought my .380 EZ or I would have saved the money toward a more realistic gun for myself.

Actually my realistic guns that are every bit as easy to rack, with low recoil, etc. are my SIG P238's. More money, but they do what I want/need them to do. I have no need or desire for a suppressor/silencer so that is not a problem for me with these sub compacts.

The one thing I can think of which would give you lots of shooting time with virtually no noise is to get a .22lr revolver and a stash of .22 colibri ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts