Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
I have a lot of custom built long range rifles that cost in the excess of 5 grand. My regimen on breaking in a new barrel is exactly with the barrel manufacturer recommends, I never deviate from that. Far as cleaning copper, I use Bore tech Eliminator for a deep clean and Hoppes for everything else. In as much as I prefer Bartlien and most of my rifles wear a Bartlien barrel, they get the Bartlien break in which is 1 round and clean for 3 rounds then 3 rounds and clean for 4 times, then 6 rounds and clean.... All while load laddering anyway.

My rifles aren't for plinking, they are for killing animals so they don't get shot wholesale. If I want to plink I get out a 10-22 or a 223 semi-auto.

Not everyone can afford a Hawkeye (800 bucks plus retail), I have one and use it regularly.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
While a Hawkeye is nice (but expensive), far as I'm concerned the cheap HF inspection camera (89 bucks, 69 with a coupon) is almost as good. While the cam won't fit inside a barrel smaller than ,336" in diameter, it will fit in about every receiver (other than a 17). and you can place the camera tight against any muzzle and look down the bore from the muzzle end or through the receiver toward the muzzle....you can get a nice color picture of just about the entire barrel that way...

I like it because it's so cheap (compared to a Hawkeye) it can almost be considered disposable, has great resolution built in LED light and allows you to visually inspect your internals to see if you are actually doing a good cleaning job...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Easy cleaning

First I apologize if someone has already stated this. I am new to the forum but not new to Bullet casting or reloading. Over the years I have fouled many pistol barrels, my own fault with my cast Bullets. Again my fault. The single biggest reason that lead wadcutters or cast lead bullets leaving lead fouling is that the Bullet as cast is *undersized* for the barrel or the wrong lube has been used. Optimum lead bullet size is .001-.002 thousandths over the actual barrel diameter -- this you'll have to slug the barrel to find the true diameter of your particular gun. I've spent many hours trying to scrub fouling out of my barrels but thanks to the boys over at the cast boolit forum finally found an easy way to get lead or any other kind of fouling out of my barrels.

Just go to your nearest dollar store and find a box of chore boy brand bronze pot scrubbers. Then run a cleaning patch down the barrel soaked with your favorite cleaner. Hoppies #9 has always been my go to.

Then take the chore boy pad and unravel a few threads from it. Wrap this around your cleaning brush and soak with cleaner. Run it down and back a few times and check it. Repeat as necessary. Even the most stubborn leading etc will come out with a few strokes and you'll have a barrel that looks brand new without any bad side effects to your barrel.

Hope this saves you some of the hours I have spent on this issue..

Art

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I thought the forum members might be interested in this.
How to Break-in a Barrel
Interesting in as much as I know Kelly who I presume is Gale's brother. I go by a particular builder's recommendations and every builder has their own regimen. Savage is different from say Bartlien or Kreiger is different from Remington. All in what the OEM builder recommends. One thing I've learned over the years is that magnum cartridges shot at better than 3000 fps, greatly shorten barrel life and it's not the barrel itself but the starting lands that erode and cause inaccuracy. Why I keep my magnum calibers below the magic number of 3000 fps muzzle. I haven't an issue installing a new tube and headspacing it but if I don't have to, why do it. Most of the hunting rifles I own and build for other's don't ever see 1000 rounds down the tube anyway. They are purpose built hunting rifles, so once the loads are perfected they rarely get shot except when hunting.

Like my custom built 308. I perfected the load and pre-loaded 100 rounds in Lapua brass and they went into an ammmo box with the dope written an enclosed card. If and when I shoot 90 or so (will take years), I'll build another 100 rounds.

Most times when I go on a hunt, I take a wallet of 10 rounds. Thats it. One to foul the cleaned barrel, one or two possibly to insure the outfitter than I can shoot accurately and I can handle my rifle and then a couple in the belly when hunting and maybe shooting 2 at most. 5 rounds total per hunt.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts