Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 36 caliber Patriot pistol in great condition. The bore measures .355", and I purchased a box of Hornady .350" round balls. I know I need a lubricated patch, but the thinnest I can find is .010". Can someone tell me how much interference fit is appropriate for this gun? I don't want to have to pound the ball too hard. It's just for target shooting. Thanks, Smokepole Hunter

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Try them and se how it goes. Rule of the thumb for accuracy is to use the thinnest patch with the largest diameter ball that you can load. This will require a good swabbing out of the bore between shots. That .010" patch will be a very tight fit for a .35" ball. You may need to use a loading stand to get it done.

I has a 45 cal flintlock rifle that has a bore dia. of .450 and land dia. of .445. I use a .440 dia. and 0.010" patch. Spit patch for casual shooting. Pregreased patches for hunting. I've loaded .445" balls with the .010" patch but it's a very tight combo and the bore needs cleaned before reloading. The .440 balls are much easier to load and I can get off a half dozen shots before cleaning is needed.
Try making your own patches out of any cotton material. Lube with Bore Butter, or Crisco grease for the lack of anything better. Don't use any man made fabrics as they are plastic and will melt. It helps to have a way to measure thickness. I use a Starrett micrometer. Old pillow cases and shirts provide the material.

Good luck!

John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts