Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MODs - if this is the wrong forum, please relocate; I wasn't sure which one to use

Kaushik Patowary Nov 2, 2016 6 comments

If you drive through the municipality of Erlenbach in Simmental in Switzerland, along the main road, you’ll pass right underneath a shooting range with bullets whizzing over your head. The Brünnlisau gun range is located just near the east entrance of Erlenbach im Simmental, which is located in the district of Niedersimmental, in the canton of Bern. The shooting house is situated on elevated grounds by the side of the road, while the targets are perched on the side of a hill across an active road. The distance between the two is 300 meters.

While this arrangement appears to be extremely dangerous, the shooting range is actually quite safe. There is a thick concrete wall near the shooting house that obstructs the view of the road, preventing shooters from accidentally putting rounds into the main road.

brünnlisau-range-5

Shooting ranges such as this are not at all unusual in Switzerland. There is another one near the border with Germany, with a road and a cattle grazing field between the shooters and the targets. There are probably many more.

Switzerland has a pretty liberal pro-gun culture with one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, but surprisingly little gun-related street crime.

“One of the reasons the crime rate in Switzerland is low despite the prevalence of weapons is the culture of responsibility and safety that is anchored in society and passed from generation to generation,” writes Helena Bachmann for Time.com.

Target shooting is a popular national sport. The Swiss Shooting Sports Association runs about 3,000 clubs and has 150,000 members, including a youth section. Kids as young as 12 years of age belong to gun groups in their local communities, where they learn sharpshooting.

A large number of guns civilians own are actually military weapons issued to them when they undergo compulsory military service. Every male citizen between 18 and 34 years is a reserve soldier, and they are allowed to take all personally assigned weapons to home.

Helena Bachmann writes: “Unlike some other heavily armed nations, Switzerland’s gun ownership is deeply rooted in a sense of patriotic duty and national identity. Weapons are kept at home because of the long-held belief that enemies could invade tiny Switzerland quickly, so every soldier had to be able to fight his way to his regiment’s assembly point.”

Switzerland’s powerful militia army had kept Hitler away during World War II, and continues to keep neighboring countries from invading Swiss territory.

“In America, gun ownership is about self-defense whereas in Switzerland it is seen more in terms of national security,” writes Emma Jane Kirby for the BBC. “To many traditionalists, a gun in the home has become a metaphor for an independent, well-fortified Switzerland which has helped to keep the country out of two world wars.”

Related: The Camouflaged Military Bunkers of Switzerland

brünnlisau-range-1

The targets on the hill across the road. Photo credit: Google Street View

brünnlisau-range-2

Photo credit: Google Street View

brünnlisau-range-3

The gun house as seen from the road. Photo credit: Google Street View

brünnlisau-range-6

Photo credit: Bloke on the Range/Youtube

swiss-gun-range-1

Another gun range in Switzerland. Photo credit: Reddit

I imagine some folks in this country would have a cow to see such a set up here.

·
Registered
278 Posts
MODs - if this is the wrong forum, please relocate; I wasn't sure which one to use

Kaushik Patowary Nov 2, 2016 6 comments

If you drive through the municipality of Erlenbach in Simmental in Switzerland, along the main road, you’ll pass right underneath a shooting range with bullets whizzing over your head. The Brünnlisau gun range is located just near the east entrance of Erlenbach im Simmental, which is located in the district of Niedersimmental, in the canton of Bern. The shooting house is situated on elevated grounds by the side of the road, while the targets are perched on the side of a hill across an active road. The distance between the two is 300 meters.

While this arrangement appears to be extremely dangerous, the shooting range is actually quite safe. There is a thick concrete wall near the shooting house that obstructs the view of the road, preventing shooters from accidentally putting rounds into the main road.

brünnlisau-range-5

Shooting ranges such as this are not at all unusual in Switzerland. There is another one near the border with Germany, with a road and a cattle grazing field between the shooters and the targets. There are probably many more.

Switzerland has a pretty liberal pro-gun culture with one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, but surprisingly little gun-related street crime.

“One of the reasons the crime rate in Switzerland is low despite the prevalence of weapons is the culture of responsibility and safety that is anchored in society and passed from generation to generation,” writes Helena Bachmann for Time.com.

Target shooting is a popular national sport. The Swiss Shooting Sports Association runs about 3,000 clubs and has 150,000 members, including a youth section. Kids as young as 12 years of age belong to gun groups in their local communities, where they learn sharpshooting.

A large number of guns civilians own are actually military weapons issued to them when they undergo compulsory military service. Every male citizen between 18 and 34 years is a reserve soldier, and they are allowed to take all personally assigned weapons to home.

Helena Bachmann writes: “Unlike some other heavily armed nations, Switzerland’s gun ownership is deeply rooted in a sense of patriotic duty and national identity. Weapons are kept at home because of the long-held belief that enemies could invade tiny Switzerland quickly, so every soldier had to be able to fight his way to his regiment’s assembly point.”

Switzerland’s powerful militia army had kept Hitler away during World War II, and continues to keep neighboring countries from invading Swiss territory.

“In America, gun ownership is about self-defense whereas in Switzerland it is seen more in terms of national security,” writes Emma Jane Kirby for the BBC. “To many traditionalists, a gun in the home has become a metaphor for an independent, well-fortified Switzerland which has helped to keep the country out of two world wars.”

Related: The Camouflaged Military Bunkers of Switzerland

brünnlisau-range-1

The targets on the hill across the road. Photo credit: Google Street View

brünnlisau-range-2

Photo credit: Google Street View

brünnlisau-range-3

The gun house as seen from the road. Photo credit: Google Street View

brünnlisau-range-6

Photo credit: Bloke on the Range/Youtube

swiss-gun-range-1

Another gun range in Switzerland. Photo credit: Reddit

I imagine some folks in this country would have a cow to see such a set up here.
In the US Chicago is a gun range too but just slightly more dangerous than the Swiss ranges.;)

·
Registered
18,403 Posts
One of my friends, Jamie Esperet lives in Geneva and works at Credit Susse and he has an arsenal of weapons and shoots regularly at the local club. He's a Paul Mauser fan. The Swiss encourage private ownership of weapons but mostly long guns.

·
Premium Member
13,207 Posts
Don't you love the media assumption that the presence of guns automatically means that there is also crime present? Such hubris.

Switzerland is a nation of target shooters. That means that they learn marksmanship at a young age, and maintain their skills as they grow older.

The automatic association between guns and crime by the media is a lie, and should be pointed out as such.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Switerland also modeled their current government after our original idea of a small Federal government with more power belonging to the states; something that most folks forget was one of the primary drivers behind the Civil War (or War of Northern Aggression)

·
Premium Member
13,207 Posts
The biggest danger to Switzerland is the adjacent and surrounding presence of the European Union. They had the wisdom to not join the EU in the first place, but culturally are influenced by their French, Italian and German heritages.

In Europe today, the ethnic minorities and religious minorities likely to be committing crimes are from Africa and the Middle East - many of whom have entered Europe as refugees. Some areas near Paris and Brussels are no longer safe for their European nationals to travel through.

Europe has extensive xenophobia entrenched in their cultures. In the 1990's I witnessed this in Munich as my relatives complained about the Eastern Europeans that were camping out in the public parks after escaping the Communist states and East Germany. Those prejudices are active today even in Switzerland.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
A member on one of the forums I belong to is Swiss and regularly posts his range trips. I am pretty sure it is THAT range where he shoots because I swear I've seen targets on the far side of a "road running through it" in several of his pictures. Can't remember which forum it is off hand, but the gentleman has a most impressive collection of guns of all kinds. And he shoots them all!

·
Registered
18,403 Posts
The last picture in AD's group I could easily duplicate but with draft horses and not steers. We have this unwritten rule that the equines get put in the upper pasture when we shoot because if anything bad happens, I'll be living in the RV, forever.

If you don't lock them off, they wander right into your line of fire. Used to be too lazy to open the gates up, that is until they got so shot up they fell apart.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A member on one of the forums I belong to is Swiss and regularly posts his range trips. I am pretty sure it is THAT range where he shoots because I swear I've seen targets on the far side of a "road running through it" in several of his pictures. Can't remember which forum it is off hand, but the gentleman has a most impressive collection of guns of all kinds. And he shoots them all!
Is that Calssic12 on TFL? He posts some awesome pics of machine pistols, classic S&W revolvers etc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Switzerland has a far smaller proportion of the population with a propensity toward violence than does the USA. In the USA, one minority commits the majority of murder and other violent crimes. That minority is almost completely lacking in Switzerland (.9%).

Switzerland has no part of its country controlled by American-type liberal idiot Democrats. If USA were to eliminate the Democratically-controlled parts of the USA from the tally of guns used inappropriately by criminals, USA would likely have a safety-from-violent-crime level similar to Switzerland. If the violent minority underclass of criminals in the USA were to be disarmed, we would enjoy a significantly safer, less-crime-ridden America.

Switzerland has a culture of following the laws (I remember seeing a Swiss driver stopping to lecture, chastize and wag a finger at a person who had picked a handful of grapes from a grape vine which the grape picker did not own), unlike a certain minority of USA citizens, who take pride in refusing to follow the laws. Switzerland does not have a large underclass of criminals; lucky Swiss people.

Yes, I have spent in Switzerland, a beautiful country (so long as you like mountains).
A certain minority in the USA was also enslaved, then became successful upon freedom, prompting a racist Democratic Party to enact welfare to incentivize that certain minorities' women from keeping the father in the home. A certain minority was also and still is targeted by eugenicists (Planned Parenthood), a certain minority was also purposely injected with syphilis for 30-40 years.
To say Switzerland has lower violent-crime as a direct result of lack of a "certain minority", without noting the disparities with which that "certain minority" was treated in each country, shows you are looking to vilify a "certain minority".
In summary, your thinly-veiled racism helps nobody.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
An interesting and unusual gun range is just outside of Honolulu. The Koko Head Shooting Complex is a public range that has been reduced in range distance over the years by environmentalists, hikers, etc. I actually enjoyed shooting there years ago.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Is that Calssic12 on TFL? He posts some awesome pics of machine pistols, classic S&W revolvers etc.
The one I'm thinking of is OLIMKI, on the Ruger forum, but looking through some of his myriad posts I don't see that range with the road running through it, so might have "recommebered" two different things and combined them in one memory. Old age will do stuff like that to you. Anyway, he has tons of guns of all shapes and sizes and uses them all - very well, indeed.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
How do they manage swapping out targets? Are they electronic?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They are electronic targets. Local gun club has them on their 50 and 100 yard range; their system came from Norway and is supposed to be accurate to within 1/10,000th of an inch. You can see your group on a monitor on your bench and even print it out. No more paper targets

·
Registered
18,403 Posts
How the long range shoot in Vegas was set up that I shot at a few years ago. With the target board at 1500 yards, getting there and back was impossible so the target board had CCTV on it and recorded each shot on the monitor on the shooting bench. 4 seconds from detonation to impact. In fact there are consumer available hardware /software programs that you can use at home on longer distance targets. Beats a spotting scope anyday.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
They are electronic targets. Local gun club has them on their 50 and 100 yard range; their system came from Norway and is supposed to be accurate to within 1/10,000th of an inch. You can see your group on a monitor on your bench and even print it out. No more paper targets
That’s what I figured. I’ve used that system at Camp Perry a few times at 100/200 yds.

·
Registered
90 Posts
CitySlicker, you recite USA evils of 160 to 50 years ago, then call me racist.

Nobody is REQUIRED to take welfare. People can instead choose to get an education (offered free in USA), get a job (readily available in the USA), buy and not steal stuff, follow instead of breaking laws, and raise their own children.

I recite current, true statistics (which you do not attempt to refute) and that somehow makes me racist?

You are mistaken, or perhaps you are a despicable race baiter. I hope you are simply ill informed.

Chinese came to America in the last half of the 1800s as indentured servants to build the railroads, were significantly discriminated against (not much different than slaves), yet they thrive in the USA now. The Orientals who settled in the USA chose to not join the USA's criminal underclass.

I made the same decision to not join the criminal underclass.
You call me a race baiter, yet you're the one who made repeated references to a "certain minority".

If you feel the need to say someone is more violent because of the color of their skin, then you're no different than those who held slaves and probably resent not being able to own one.

If you think me despicable it's because I've caused you to take a closer look at your own motivations, once again, you're the one who brought race into it.

·
Registered
18,403 Posts
While not on the OPS original post, I can say without malice that I'm a blue ribbon race baiter.. Always have been too.

Reactions: Collects
1 - 20 of 21 Posts