Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep telling everyone that I'm retired. I don't want to fix your motorcycle, or Land Rover, or house. So I decided that I'm taking my car to the dealer for repairs too. In April the check engine light came on and I dropped it off for repairs. I was given a new 2020 to drive and the repairs were all covered under warranty. So with the warmer weather I noticed that the AC was rather meager so I dropped it off for repairs. Their estimate was $2700 to repair and charge the system. I passed and ordered the parts myself. $650 in parts and 6 hours work and I saved $2k. Right now my back and neck sure don't feel like I'm retired but it was sure worth it. I even built some risers for my ramps to make it easier to crawl around under the car.
91629910-1548-4147-9EAC-8A142B4775A0.jpeg
8E6D3994-2515-4B1D-A87C-10D8AC9AE726.jpeg

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Come on down to FL and do my golf cart tune-up

·
Registered
12,808 Posts
I keep telling everyone that I'm retired. I don't want to fix your motorcycle, or Land Rover, or house. So I decided that I'm taking my car to the dealer for repairs too. In April the check engine light came on and I dropped it off for repairs. I was given a new 2020 to drive and the repairs were all covered under warranty. So with the warmer weather I noticed that the AC was rather meager so I dropped it off for repairs. Their estimate was $2700 to repair and charge the system. I passed and ordered the parts myself. $650 in parts and 6 hours work and I saved $2k. Right now my back and neck sure don't feel like I'm retired but it was sure worth it. I even built some risers for my ramps to make it easier to crawl around under the car. View attachment 469674 View attachment 469673
Those plastic ramps don't cut it for me. I tried them and they failed. Guess backing my diesel farm tractor up on them to change out the PTO shaft (I have a dual speed 540-1000 rpm pto ) was just too much to ask so I built my own set from 2 x 6 oak planks and risers. heavier that hell but strong. They take my tractor no issue. My one ton diesel pickup truck too. I'm 70 and do all my own work because I'm cheap. Just put front spindles, half shafts and brakes on my wife's Suburban. Need to replace the rear air shocks yet and change the fluid in the rear diff. The only time any of our vehicles see a repair shop is a recall or a muffler replacement. I hate muffler work. I can do it, have the tools, but it's dirty, nasty work so I don't.

Retirement is great, I can farm at my leisure (which I do), putz in the garden and raise hell on the Internet. Life is good. Enjoy your retirement, you are a long time dead.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I feel for you series guy having to work outside on your vehicles. Did that for over 30 years.
Retired 8 years ago. 66 now.
SidecarFlip, I do my own work mainly so I know it's done right. Also for cost savings. I do tire rotations but not mounting and balancing. If I remember you do this yourself and have the equipment.
Now I'm lucky to have this.

:)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a set of solid wood ramps that I built years ago out of some 2X12 off cuts. They come out for trucks etc. but these plastic ones are easier to move around. Years ago I built a nice heated and air conditioned garage. Kept my MG in one side and my 22 motorcycles in the other. Then I gave that and my house away. I'm pretty used to working outside now. The trip to the dealer for repairs was my first go at that in 40 years. The warranty stuff worked out fine, the next attempt not so much. Probably my last try at that.

·
Registered
12,808 Posts
I have a heated and air conditioned shop as well, but it's pretty well stuffed with machine tools and bikes and assorted stuff including the new side by side...lol

Yes I have a Coats tire machine and a spin balance machine and I do my own tires, least the auto and truck tires. Farm tractors,. I leave to the tire service truck. Way too big and heavy for me to deal with. The have the portable hydraulic driven tools for that stuff.

Need to play farmer this week and start cutting and bailing hay. My customer is just about out. Hopefully 150 rounds by next Tuesday if the weather cooperates.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I have ramps like yours and I use moving blankets on my concrete driveway to get under and work. I guess my newer vehicle will be easier to get under as it has 20 inch rims.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 2 sets of ramps. One set is plastic for my car and the other set is made out of steel that I use for my truck. My car won't fit on the steel ramps because it sits to low and my truck is near the weight limit for the plastic ramps.

That's why they put the weight limit stickers on the ramps so you don't drive a big ass tractor on them and collapse them.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hey Mark,

That was a big job!

Had a set of STEEL RAMPS collapse, a couple years back! Thank the Good Lord they "went" as I was getting out of the car....(not under it!)

When I hit the Lotto..........I'm gonna have a 12' high Ga Rage....with a twin post lift. Oh! And a MECHANIC to fix my stuff! LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,507 Posts
I am still confused how retirement is related to an old German VW?

I do my work on my cars. It's nothing wrong with driving up on ramps as long as you place proper jack stands under the car before getting down to business.

It seems like an easy fix for me. The new cars are complicated and need more time to fix. The old times are over with the new government regulations.

I blame Obama and his regulations.

Reactions: Bob K

·
Registered
12,808 Posts
I am still confused how retirement is related to an old German VW?

I do my work on my cars. It's nothing wrong with driving up on ramps as long as you place proper jack stands under the car before getting down to business.

It seems like an easy fix for me. The new cars are complicated and need more time to fix. The old times are over with the new government regulations.

I blame Obama and his regulations.

Don't be using those Harbor Freight jackstands the drop without warning. HF is recalling thousands and giving you your money back. Seems as though the Chinese company that made them let their tooling go to crap and the ram casting's pawl teeth are too short so they slip out of the latch and BAM, down they go.

Chineseum is the best....

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
My retirement healthwise, is not all what I hoped for........but l can still maintain my lifestyle. I'm doing OK!!!! Bob

·
Registered
216 Posts
Been retired now for two years (about). I seriously cannot envision how in the heck I got anything around the house or stuff like that done AND worked 48+ hours a week...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Those plastic ramps don't cut it for me. I tried them and they failed. Guess backing my diesel farm tractor up on them to change out the PTO shaft (I have a dual speed 540-1000 rpm pto ) was just too much to ask so I built my own set from 2 x 6 oak planks and risers. heavier that hell but strong. They take my tractor no issue. My one ton diesel pickup truck too. I'm 70 and do all my own work because I'm cheap. Just put front spindles, half shafts and brakes on my wife's Suburban. Need to replace the rear air shocks yet and change the fluid in the rear diff. The only time any of our vehicles see a repair shop is a recall or a muffler replacement. I hate muffler work. I can do it, have the tools, but it's dirty, nasty work so I don't.

Retirement is great, I can farm at my leisure (which I do), putz in the garden and raise hell on the Internet. Life is good. Enjoy your retirement, you are a long time dead.
Why would you back a tractor onto ramps to swap ends your 540/1000 PTO shaft-that 95% of all tractors have-when all you have to do is squeeze the snap clip with needle nose pliers and pull it out, swap ends of shaft and stick it right back in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts