Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after 15 years, it was finally time for a new pick-em-up truck. This one came home to it's new "Pad" last week:

It's a plain ole' work F-150 XL truck, but really nicely done with a number of basic features in the package. AC, Power windows, Computer Dash, Cruise Control, Rear Camera...

I was careful about mechanical things more than the trim and "goodies" you often see on new trucks. This one got a 3.55 ratio differential, differential lock and a 5.0 litre Coyote V-8 engine. It's also got the tow package.

The Coyote is the third generation of the engine they started using in the Mustang in 2011. It's got phase variable cam shafts and timing. That and it can develope 460 horsepower.

GEN 3 5.0L COYOTE 460HP MUSTANG CRATE ENGINE

I've driven a number of Ford modular engine equipped Triton based vehicles since 1992; including Crown Vic police pursuit cars, a 2008 Grand Marquis and the 2005 F150 pickup. It's been an outstanding engine.

This 5.0L (308 Cu inch) is a member of the next generation modular engines.

The version III update in 2018 included port as well as direct fuel injection, and runs 11 to 1 compression.

Ford Modular engine - Wikipedia

So... here's hoping for a long and safe ride.

The price of these new Ford trucks is a bit daunting, but the dealer was in a negotiating mood...

·
Premium Member
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just ten plus a few thousand less costly than my first house.

My other cars are Dodge Charger police pursuit cars. I've gotten used to the power. This truck, on a much larger body, feels a bit like driving a tank compared to them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Congrats, I got every mile I could get out of a 91 F150 with the 300 straight 6. Engine still purred, electrical system was all replaced. New parts kept breaking down. Made me sick, believe that engine would run forever. Bought , my first new, 2019 Ford 150 XL. Those are nice trucks, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had a 1985, 2005 and now this 2019 (bought in 2020). All have given excellent service.

·
Registered
19,343 Posts
Marc: Didn't know you drove Mopar's. I won't hold it against you though. You know why the Lord invented Mopar's? To keep the good folks in Fords and Chevy's... (y)

if it came down to Mopar or No car, I'd ride my bicycle.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Congratulations they did to you what they did to me.. running boards are on backwards... when you stand on them beware, you will be on the “slick metal” the turn in shown on the front of the running board should be at the back...at least that’s what I was told..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
19,343 Posts
Congratulations they did to you what they did to me.. running boards are on backwards... when you stand on them beware, you will be on the “slick metal” the turn in shown on the front of the running board should be at the back...at least that’s what I was told..

Thewelshm
Another worthless add on, running boards (steps actually). All they are, are shin knockers. My wife's Burb had them, the fancy electric retractable ones. Took them off and gave them away. Totally useless. I have hoop steps on my F350 but then at 6 over stock, the rocker panels are almost at knee height. No way you can climb in without them. When I was younger, I could. Not now. I'm an old fart with a jacked up truck with mudder tires...lol

Reactions: gearchecker

·
Registered
21,316 Posts
A long time ago (1978), I had a Chevy C-10, equipped the way your Ford is......a WORK TRUCK!!!! The 5.0 L. engine didn't have much HP. I loved it..... until I had to fill the gas tank!!!! o_O 4 years later, I went to a 4 cyl. S-10.......which actually was all the truck that I needed. I stayed with smaller 4 cyl.mid- sized trucks after that.

Now, I have a RAV4 since I don't need a truck anymore. I buy what I need....when I need it. Bob

·
Premium Member
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The running boards were after market. The rubber pads are placed for stepping in at the floor openings.

Unfortunately, age has made them more necessary... Age and bone issues.

Not all MOPARs are made equal. The police pursuit version vehicles are commercial duty, and quite well made. The 5.7 engine is also excellent.

Much of the rest of MOPAR I would avoid. I have a 2011 and 2015 Charger police pursuit. Stealth muscle cars...

Reactions: Thewelshm
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.