Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife had adopted (read Stolen in plain sight) my Ruger gp100. :)
I was thrilled she found a revolver she had fun shooting and at 63yrs old it had been a long path to finding one she enjoyed. Problem was ... she was never going to carry it or even have it near her ever. Its a big gun and while she enjoyed it at the range, it stayed in the box.

I wanted her to have something that she would have on her .. at least in the car so if she broke down she could slip into her pocket while waiting for me or triple A.

She tried my ariwieght but as I suspected even with fairly soft ammo she didnt care for it so ... Something heavier about the same size.

I was set to pull the trigger on an SP101 and then she said .. its to nice .. I want something I wont be afraid of scratching up. I wouldnt carry anything nice ... Sigh ... ok back to the search.

Well .. here is the part that might get me a Dishonorable.

(Drag and drop Photos is AWESOME!)

So I got her a Rock island M206 Spurless!

Alright so the good ... I looked at a ton of reviews and videos and 99% of them were very positive.

Price was not to bad at $270. A touch high maybe but the rush has bumped up pricing a bit.

The gun ONCE CLEANED snicks and snaps with the best of them. I mean .. the parts that are supposed to work .. really do well. Tight as a drum, a very satisfying SNAP when you close the cylinder, Trigger is a touch rough but a little lighter than my airweight and smooth pull without any freaky stuff right through the hammer drop. Ejector rod is smooth as silk and .. well .. the working bits feel amazing for sub $300. I dry fired it some 60 times and the wife probably another 40 and its a fine trigger.
Its about the same size as my airweight and I think its a knock off of the colt detective.
It weights in at just about 1lb 10 ounces unloaded and it comes with small wood grips which look great on the gun and a Larger polymer grip. I put the poly on because while the wood looks awesome .. she would hate shooting with them. Did a little more dry fire this morning and .. still impressed. Of course the real test will be at the range and the only reason I dont run out shooting today is I dont want to bring anything home to the missus .. might run out into the desert though!
Last good .. Its a Rock Island. I have had about 6 of their 1911's of them 5 were flawless from day one and one had a feed ramp issue and they fixed it and had it back to me working fine in under 2 weeks.

The bad ... Its a Rock Island. While I have loved their guns at their price point the finishes are applied with a large cheap chip brush and they scratch if you look at them to closely and heaven forbid your eyelashes touch it.
The things that arent mechanical is where you see the sub $300. The barrel which is just about 2 1/8 inches looks like it was cut off from a length of pipe and then .. just installed. So the edges are noticeably sharp. Seriously .. cut a piece of pipe with a hack saw .. then run your fingers around the outside edge ... SAME.
The frame has some sharp points here and there and the finish is uneven under the top strap.
It comes in a plastic bag FILLED with mystery goop! I am not joking .. at the ffl I picked up the gun with two fingers at the grip and he gun literally dripped.
You can not use the gun until you clean it. The cylinder release latch would not go back without some force and the gun seemed unusable. Took it out to the shed and stuck the nozzle of my Lucas CLP in the various opening and started spraying ... eww the stuff that came out.

Turned it this way and that .. let it sit for an hour and gave it another hosing and WALA! The gun was perfect.

Anyway .. I will give a range report when I can .. just dont think to much less of me .. I mean she is meant to live a hard less refined life.

Registered
Whatever blows your dress up....馃榿

Reactions: Boriqua

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey K22 ... your finish is awful fancy. Is it lighting or did you do something to it ? My wife is a hard use girl. She has been working as a Gardener for probably 30 years or more and tools to her are tools so I am not going to get to involved with how this one earns its patina but .. yours sure does look nice!!

I will make her a little leather holster to help protect it and then .. what will be will be

Premium Member
Must be the lighting. All I do is rub it down with Rem oil after cleaning.

Registered
Nothing wrong with the RIA guns. I have several and they are very tight and reliable. Think they are underrated. As long as she likes it and it functions then is worth any price.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys .. I will test function once but at the moment .. she seems THRILLED with it. She just kept messing with it until bed, checkin her grip and pointing at various bad guys on the tv and popping on those snap caps. Like the airwieght you can really get it buried in your hands and it still has a little heft. I was happy she liked it so much.

Premium Member
I bought a 4" not too long ago. I didn't keep it long, some other bright , shiny thing caught my eye, but I did shoot it a couple of times. It was a good shooter and certainly seemed well made. I had to scrape some flashing off the plastic grips but that was all. Mine had a much better trigger than I would have expected for such an inexpensive gun, especially for right out of the box.

My only "objection" was mine had been soaked in a half a tanker full of thin grease/thick oil. I think it took about a half can of Gunscrubber to get that goop out, so I could oil it.

Registered
I'm thinking hard about a Rock Island 209 9mm revolver. If the wheel guns are as good as their 1911s , they should be fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I was out with it again and this time sent some of my own 38's with 4.5 grs of hp38 under a 158 gr LSWC and it ate them up no problem I think that load is on the heavy side for that gun but recoil was a non issue.

We got it for my wife and we are headed out shooting tomorrow so I will report back after her maiden trip to report what she thought.

Registered
Place local that I frequent sells quite a few of them, they keep those of lessor means protected pretty well, and I haven't heard many complaints about them, although they do seem a little less "refined" than say; Rugers or S&Ws, but if it works, it works, and I totally get her feelings about "too pretty" to carry, I admit, I have a few (like an older Colt Agent, with no ejector shroud but a factory hammer shroud and T-Grip), that I fear will leave our estate someday, still in pristine condition. My (gasp) Taurus View in it's Mika pocket holster sure won't though!
You know, I wonder if those RIAs are close enough to a DS that DS grips might be persueded to fit, like an old set of Goodyear Compacs or some such? Anyhow, hope she enjoys it, and never has to use it in anger...

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
You know, I wonder if those RIAs are close enough to a DS that DS grips might be persueded to fit,
With a good deal of effort and coaxing and some tinkering I was able to get a set of hogue 48000 for the detective on there. Super soft grips.

Less refined is an understatement!! :)

but .. it goes bang each and every time and isnt terrible about how it does it. Certainly not a collector grade or things you share with your buddies at show and tell but ... it so far seems to be serving its intended purpose.

Registered
Congrats on the RIA! I own a Tactical 1911 .45 ACP and have had no problems. Well made item. Enjoy the little tank:D

Registered
How would you sat they compare to Charter Arms?
Every new Rock Island and their other brand I have seen has been packed with oil like grease, Preserves them for long trips during shipping.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts