Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an interesting old Smith&Wesson Revolver and I am a sucker for wheelguns having owned in my lifetime to the best of my memory over 300 of them. This gun I just bought is a K-38 Target Masterpiece or a Model 14-4 and it looks like it was built around 1959-1960. I know I am going out on a limb making these statements because I know some of you will burn me at the cross if I am wrong. The revolver came from an estate sale and it is carrying a 4”
barrel but it comes with a 8 3/8” barrel that it came with. Supposedly it was sent to Smith&Wesson to be modified and maybe the action worked on. It has an aftermarket set of wood target grips on it. No neither barrel is shot out and I haven’t had time to call S&W to verify any of this. I haven’t taken any pictures yet and I bought the gun as an add on to a Colt backup Gun carried by a Texas Ranger for years many years ago and I verified this plus it has the Texas Ranger Badge stamped into the right side receiver.
Question: When a gun is sent back to Smith&Wesson is the a stamping made on the grip frame somewhere. I am realizing that I have forgot a lot of things about guns that use to be second nature for me but I guess that’s what 11 Strokes will do for you.
I will take some pictures and post them when I can and if I remember how. Any info about stampings on the frame that you will share with me I will appreciate it.
Thanks?
Garrell Patterson

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Garrell, it is good to see you posting again...and buying new S&W guns! For many years, S&W marked changed or modified parts with a diamond or O. This practice ended around 1980 and, depending on when and if S&W worked on your gun, the diamond or O may or may not be stamped under the barrel on the barrel flat where the extractor rod docks. Also, S&W stamped a star next to the serial number on the butt or on the left side of the grip frame to indicate service work. The date of the service work was stamped on the left toe of the grip frame in the format MM.YY. These may not be present if the work was done after 1970 or so.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Garrell, it is good to see you posting again...and buying new S&W guns! For many years, S&W marked changed or modified parts with a diamond or O. This practice ended around 1980 and, depending on when and if S&W worked on your gun, the diamond or O may or may not be stamped under the barrel on the barrel flat where the extractor rod docks. Also, S&W stamped a star next to the serial number on the butt or on the left side of the grip frame to indicate service work. The date of the service work was stamped on the left toe of the grip frame in the format MM.YY. These may not be present if the work was done after 1970 or so.
GoodMorning Guy
I thought you might be out there kicking around, Good to hear from you, Check out a couple of pictures I posted and see if either one indicated work performed at the factory please.0

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Garrell, I need to see the other side of the grip frame, the serial number on the butt, the muzzle of the barrel and the barrel stamps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts