Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Model 60 Snubby, which I can scarce hit anything with over 10 feet, and am thinking about a 686 7 shot. I carry semiauto sigs right now, but would like some variety. I'm partial to the .357 round and believe that one of them is enough to make a BG reconsider. Of course, fears about capacity come up. How fast is it possible to be with a speed loader? Who is confident carrying a revolver? I will get the gun anyhow because I'm a gun nut but I'm interested in hearing from people who carry revolvers. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,721 Posts
First off, welcome!!

I feel very confident with a revolver so I carry one, I can shoot them very accurately. As far as a reload, in practice it's fast. I never had to try one in a real life stressful situation and I hope I never do.

Jerry Miculek can reload and shoot a revolver faster than a guy with a semi-auto. kfjdrfirii

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
From an old revolver fan,

I bet my life on revolvers (model 10/model 64) during my 30 year police career and could fire, reload, and fire 12 rounds in ten seconds or less from belt loops. Always beat the guys with speed loaders. :D Secret? Practice.

Speed and a zillion rounds are no good unless you hit what you are shooting at. In civilian defensive situations shot placement is far more important than sheer volume of firepower. Secret? Practice.

Since my retirement I carry five shooters...60, 640, or 642...with five rounds in a speed strip. Reloading is much slower now since I lost the use of one hand in a motorcycle crash at age 70 but I'm still quite comfortable with revolver carry and my ability to defend myself when/if necessary.

Find a revolver/stock combo that feels good to you, choose effective defensive ammunition, practice a lot, and you can hold your own anywhere.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As ArkieVol pointed out, you can be very quick indeed re-loading a revolver IF you practice.

I qualified this past June with a 3" model 13-3. Every other officer was shooting a semi auto. I was the first one re-loaded and "made ready" on every string, and I am NO Michulek (SP?) either. I do practice reloading a few times a month, and at the IDPA matches I attend. That said, being fast getting the first accurate shot on target is far more important than how fast you can reload. I shot a 97, 97, and 98 on day, night, and off duty day.

As far as the old revolver vs semi auto for carry, it is the first shot that matters not the 8th or 17th. If you choose a revolver that you can get fast accurate hits with, you will be well armed.

I'm currently searching for a 7-shot 686-4 in either 3" or 2.5". Nicely executed concept. I have the 4" 686-4+ and think that the snubby will be that much sweeter. Good luck. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
786 Posts
For winter carry, it is the 2" model 10-7... for summer carry a 642-2. I have confidence in the .38special for social interactions. I also am a believer in the thinking that "If you can't take care of your problem in 6 shots (or 5 in the case of the 642) what makes you think you'll be alive for shots 7-10..."
Granted, I always have a speed loader on me for the weapon I am carrying at the time. I practice combat shooting with both snubbies, so I am fairly confident that the first, maybe second shot will stop the threat. Hopefully I will never have to find out...

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
You didn't say where you're from Mudge, but if you live where the bad guys wear marshmallow coats and God knows what all else beneath it come cold weather, you might want to consider a .357.

To me, .38's are at the lowest end of the reliability scale anyway and it's been proven that when plugged up with cloth material, many hollow points will not expand. You need this expansion.

.357's will penetrate better and traveling at higher initial velocities it is more likely you will get at least some expansion, even if plugged.

I carry a Pre-Keylock 640-1 Centennial Magnum in .357. Sometimes, two. True it's a 5-shot, but it's easy to pack (I'm wearing one now). Later, when things get cooler around here and I can start wearing a fleece vest, I'll switch over to 3" Model 65 if I'm not carrying a Glock G22 (.40 S&W) or SiG 220 (.45 ACP).

Drew's 2345ll

·
Registered
786 Posts
Drew... I carry Eldorado Starfires in the 642 and model 10. They open up pretty decently, but then again, I wasn't firing at denim and cotton... Have you had any experience with, or ever seen these babies???

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
f150guy said:
Drew... I carry Eldorado Starfires in the 642 and model 10. They open up pretty decently, but then again, I wasn't firing at denim and cotton... Have you had any experience with, or ever seen these babies???
I shot them a million years ago when PMC first came out with them. They (like most other .38 rounds) won't penetrate a 2" stack of slick catalog pages. Don't ask me how I know that... The Starfires look nasty, but I couldn't see anything that warranted the extra cost.

I did have some success with their 10mm load when I was going through my Delta Elite phase.... I managed to keep a few boxes of the stuff because I have 1086's, a 1066 and a couple of 1076's...

When I carry one for serious purposes, which isn't too often these days, my .38 load of choice is the plain old 158 grn Lead Hollow Point +P. I aim for the eyes.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My 696 or 624 ride under my jacket in winter. No fear of not penetrating with a .44 spl for me. I carry a 638 ANY time I cannot wear a coat outside. I am not worried about reloading under pressure, but I do carry a speed strip in .44 or .38 in the off side carry pocket if a reload is prudent. I hardly worry in my area, but I like to be prepared. You never know who is going to cross your path.

I have always liked the 5 or 6 for sure with a revolver. I have seen too many autos jam for too many reasons. I carry one at work, but put a revolver on my hip to go to and from work and anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I am now retired due to LOD stuff.I EDC and it has been a Glock for decades.Now I am carrying a 442 and a "NY" reload [ nother gun ].I believe in the 38 +P and the 357,and own a 'few' of both [ including a Charter 44 ].In case you are not aware of the expression,a NY reload is another gun INSTEAD of actually reloading.Depending on where I am going I carry accordingly.If in an area that warrants it - the Glock with another Glock as well as the 442 are with me,do as you feel and believe.The reason for SO many guns & carry options is the same for horse races = "wanna bet" if ya feel me here.Best of luck in NEVER finding out how fast you can hit !.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Interesting viewpoints, as I sit here reading this thread, I'm aware that my center of gravity has moved aft by the presence of a 640-1 in my hip pocket.

For up close and personal confrontations - Yes a snub-nose revolver.
Caliber? . .How wrong can you go with a 357 magnum?

One advantage of a hammerless snub-nose is it can be fired inside of your coat pocket without jamming, an advantage over an automatic pistol. Course the muzzleblast will probably set your coat on fire.

With a revolver the spray and pray technique is not an option.
Did someone recommend practice.

It has been my experience when faced with an immediate life saving move, most resort to their training or lack of it.

A 686+ in a holster that holds the gun close to your body or an inside the waistband holster under your coat sounds good to me.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.