Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning up my 617 today, which was purchased new 2 years ago It made 2 range trips lately and was due. Been shoot the Federal 36gr copper washed in the red 550rd bulk pack. Man do those things shoot clean. Ran about 250 rounds and it wasnt bad at all. I was looking it over during the final wipe down. Fit & finish are excellent. Everything is straight, square and uncanted. The trigger was gritty at first, but not overly heavy. Some lube and a couple hundred shots smoothed things nicely. Have probably only shot 800-900 rounds through it so far so I suspect it will continue to break in and get better. What I really should do is take just this gun and a Federal 550 bulk pack to the range and really work it over.
The gun is very accurate, way better than what I can do with it and I really have no complaints about it.
The old S&W revolvers were masterpieces of craftsmanship. We will probably never see guns like those made again at a price we can afford. Meanwhile, the new offerings are not all junk. I have 6 revolvers with locks and 8 without. While I prefer the older guns, the new ones can be some darn fine revolvers
F7D79B1B-2E3F-4C90-9628-CB84CBCD9045.jpeg
5C216671-EC43-4728-B95A-3F42EC376A2C.jpeg

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
Love the Hilary hole...saying that my 500 has one..:(

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Hey Jonesy,

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Preach it brother. I've been saying for years there is not a thing wrong with the "new" guns. IMHO, even the hated lock is a tempest in a teacup.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nice to here a positive review on the new revolvers from Smith. Thanks! I am with you the older revolvers are a work of art and I believe you are correct in identifying that if the new revolvers were made in the same fashion, that they would be out of most of our price range.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Pretty sweet. Really nice grips. Got my 34's, which I love, but maybe it's time to add a nice stainless 10 shooter in there.
Hey Silver,

I really like the "10 Chooter"!

The "underlug" gives an almost "recoiless" chootin' experience. Great for 12ga hulls, golf balls and other "bounce" when hit "targets" of HIGH FUN FACTOR! :D

Later, Mark

·
Registered
17,303 Posts
Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I agree. Got a bunch of older revolvers and several new ones. Much as I wish it were different, the newest are more accurate than the Older models, at least when chambered for the 45 ACP.

Kevin

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
If you happen to get a revolver with no problems, it probably means.......that you got one of the good ones!! ;) That don't mean much......if you got problems. nbvoALOtnbtlaa Bob

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I have one with the 6 inch barrel. It's a pleasure to shoot. I bought it used, but looked brand new out of the box a few years ago. It was a little dry under the side plate. That's all. Excellent trigger. I can't estimate the number of rounds through it. No problems with the lock. It's intact and never been used while in my care. I still wouldn't trust the lock in a carry gun.

Reactions: jonesy814
1 - 18 of 18 Posts