·
Registered
104 Posts
I wanna play!:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
In 1968 my last six months and some odd days was spent at Guantanamo Bay Cuba Naval Base. As part of my duties with 3Rd-BN 8th Marines we taught the usage of the M1 rifle to Sailors whom comprised part of the base security/defensive forces. The M1 rifle was their issued weapon. The M1 were converted from 30-06 AKA 30 Govt to 7.62MM NATO (AKA 308Win). Some rifles had chamber inserts and others converted to 7.62MM by re-barreling. They all a nylon block insert that prevented the insertion of 8Rd end block clip 30-06/30Govt.

Being Left Handed I hated the M1 rifle reloading procedure of thumb over to load the 8Rd end block clip. Later on in life I had Clint Fowler build me a triple lug (receiver lugged in three places to mount and secure it in to the glassed bedded stock with Allen head bolts. Chambered in 7.62NATO. While an exceptionally accurate rifle, M1 Thumb occurred on occasion thus I rid myself of it for a Springfield Armory M1A Supper Match.

During my time in Viet Nam the RVN soldiers were issued the M1 rifle a better match would have been the M1 carbine. When working with the previously mention units we noted their difficulties in usage of the M1.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have recently learned how fine a rifle these M1's are.
There complex, yet simple. Is that possible?
Oh, and very shooter friendly to.
So heres mine,
20181104_115831.jpg

A quick story...
The last time I had mine at the club range, the range was was pretty busy. Rifle season was about to start here. I was shooting at steel at 200 yards. I rang the steel enough to gather some attention. That lead to a great conversation and 2 others trying my M1. I told them how I sight the target as a 6 o clock pic, and fire.
They hit steel also. They were surprised at its accuracy and consistency. That ended up being a real enjoyable afternoon.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
One other observation of those whom shoot the M1, get off your rear-end thus stop being a bench hugger. Your just fooling yourself by sitting on your ass shooting from benchrest telling yourself how wonderful the rifle, ammunition, and you are. If you want to know your capability with the rifle stand up and shoot 200Yd standing off hand, 300Yd sitting and 500Yd prone.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
One other observation of those whom shoot the M1, get off your rear-end thus stop being a bench hugger. Your just fooling yourself by sitting on your ass shooting from benchrest telling yourself how wonderful the rifle, ammunition, and you are. If you want to know your capability with the rifle stand up and shoot 200Yd standing off hand, 300Yd sitting and 500Yd prone.

I Hear ya dennis40xnc. I got my M1 back in 1982 from the DCM and shot in the military matches at our club.
You had to shoot sitting, standing and prone...being 75 years old I don't shoot competition anymore but do
enjoy shootin the old girl. Here I am a couple of years ago having some fun. Stay safe my friends. Dick

100_1343.jpg

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
M-1 Fun!

Hey Paul,

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

This is barrel #3 (Krieger Match) on this rifle (in my possession, it may well have been re-barreled prior).

Winchester.

Think it shoots OK? :D

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
All M1 owners should buy and watch "The Band Of Brothers".........Lots of M1 footage.
I watched that when it was on hbo, I think. Then bought the cd set when it came out. Amazing what that group of men accomplished. And none of the survivors thought they were heroes.
But, they served in the company of heroes.

That series should be run again on TV. To show the training, dedication and self sacrifice that made them all heroes.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm getting there dennis40xnc.
Mrerick was kind enough to send me a link to some original training films. Excellent info on shooting the M1. It explains why my 1 uncle was such an excellent rifle shooter.
I got to practice a lot more, but I got some ammo to work with.
20181201_191358.jpg

My uncle has passed since. he tried to teach me a few things, but 37 years ago I wasn't a good listener. I'll apologize when I see him again. Now, I get to learn on my own. If only we could turn back time.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hey Paul,

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

This is barrel #3 (Krieger Match) on this rifle (in my possession, it may well have been re-barreled prior).

Winchester.

Think it shoots OK? :D

Later, Mark
That's some darn fine shootin Mark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been looking at a 308, but when I read "Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line." for $ 1250 it puts the purchase off. If I recall last year or even the year before the 308's were close to the same price as the M1 service grades (But I may be wrong). Paid a premium for a Winchester in the M1 - but I see I can now get the Winchester in the 308 for about $ 300 more then I paid in the Service.

Nice looking Rifles and Nice shooting.

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
I first held an M-1 in 1964. It was love at first sight. Qualified expert for the four years I was issued one. Finally bought my own in 2001. Great weapon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts