Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I know many of us are Lovers of the timeless classic the K-22 Model 17's and Pre-17's. The classics are getting harder and harder to come by in nice shape these days and the prices have exceeded buying a new stainless model 617 Lately as well at least in my Neck of the woods. I did a little trading a couple of months ago, and the trade involved a rifle I had for another one and with that trade came a new in Box model 617. The dealer claimed he had this 617-6 for awhile but no one showed any Interest in it, so that made it easy to include in my swap offer. I brought it home took it to the range and soon found out that it shoot's as tight as my other Blued K-22's. I was not a lover of the Good year rubber grip's it came from the factory with, so I ordered a set of Eagle Coke Profile smooth Target grips for it. I was not at all pleased with their profile as they felt way too large and clubby for me, and the Coke profile for some reason was only on the right grip panel leaving the left panel flat Looking, so I reshaped them to what fit me good and included the bell shaped bottom to them along with setting the Older Pre-War S&W Emblems. Here is what it looks like now, so let's hear about & See your 617's in this thread... Hammerdown

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I need to try some smooth grips on one of my N frames. they look good and reports are they feel good. Some day

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Hammer ,
Thats a great gun and a ton of fun !! That looks great with those grips too !! Smith should have made those that way !! IMO

I have the 10 shot version and is a 617-4 . Mine goes to the club quite a bit . I added alittle sighting aid to it , here`s a few pics .....

That red dot is pretty cool . Its a conversation piece thats for sure .
I have to find out some info about moon clips for it , from what I hear they do make them .
Its kind of a pain to keep reloading but still fun !!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Ralph
I like my 617, But it is a little nose Heavy. I have seen some with the Lug Trimmed off, and they Look really Cool. That may be a future project for mine..Hammerdown

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
hammerdown I read in another side how that 617 got polished to that beautiful shinny state complete with pics and how it was done. I thought it was very interesting an bet they readers in here would to.It came out perfect and looks like it would apply to any of the S&W stainless frames.If I ever get enough funds together for a 460 I want to polish it up like you did your 617

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
onenut58 said:
hammerdown I read in another side how that 617 got polished to that beautiful shinny state complete with pics and how it was done. I thought it was very interesting an bet they readers in here would to.It came out perfect and looks like it would apply to any of the S&W stainless frames.If I ever get enough funds together for a 460 I want to polish it up like you did your 617
Hello Onenut58
Sadly, Today Like all others things made in the United States anymore, most are Rushed and not Finished to the High level or Eye Appeal we learned to love on the S&W classic K-22 offerings. Soon after getting this revolver home, I took it Down to the bare frame to Polish the Internal action Pieces, and finish Polishing the Internal Part's. I quickly Noticed that The main Part of the frame where the rebound slide comes in Contact, was not finished square and most of the rebound slide assembly did not come in complete contact with it as it should, so I stoned the rebound slide, Then Polished the surfaces with 2000 Grit 3-M Wet or Dry sand paper. That improved the smoothness of the action and made the world of difference in the action's Performance. I then was not in Love with the drab looking factory finish so I used Mother's Mag wheel Polish and a soft towel to improve the appearance of it some. Below is a series of pictures that show it before it was Polished, and while apart....By the Way, I Like Your Handle. Now, "That is Funny I don't care who Ya Are"... Hammerdown

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I seen where you posted in the other site I was at and the handle hammer down was used. I thought, I wonder if thats same one that comes in here.Once I seen this post and pics I knew it was one and the same.You got the gun looking like a nickle finish came out perfect.And the grips make it a totaly different very appealing gun.
I didnt realize the newer smith and wessons needed the mechanisms polished up.The only modern one I have shot was a 4 inch 686 before the lock version six shot.
The guy that had it died before I ever met him but he tinkered around a lot with his guns. The one I shot was pretty smooth with a nice trigger pull like a older one.He may have did what you did.With the four inch barrel it was well balanced and I liked the gun. I imagine the six inch barrel would not have the same balance though.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Here is a original 617 no dash. I shoot this one often. It's around 23 years old so I guess it has 35,000 rounds thru it. You would never tell by looking at it.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
It looks like new 500 magnum.Realy nice grips to.Stainless does wear a lot better than bluing for sure and little sanding and like new again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 617-4 for three weeks now and I'm having a ball shooting It. I purchased it from a gunsmith who did some tweaking to the trigger and hammer. I've never owned a revolver before, but this gun has open my eyes to buying more. It came with an 8 and 3/8" barrel, but the seller changed it to a 6".

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello little jack
Welcome to the forum. I have been a member since the first Week Dave started this Forum, and it has grown much lately. That 617 you have is a neat Looking Revolver. I assume many more will come for you as they are Very addictive. I myself was always a Lover of the classic K-22's until I got mine. I did Notice right off, that mine was Not as accurate as most of my Classic K-22's. When I Looked down my Barrel it Looked rough to me, so I applied a Little J.B. Bore Paste each time I cleaned it. It soon had a shinny Bore and the Groups got a lot tighter. I am Now getting used to the Heft of the Under lug Barrel and enjoying mine a lot more. With The High cost of ammo today I would say The 617 is one of S&W's Best selling revolvers. Thanks for sharing the Pictures and story about yours. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Hey Hammerdown,

Beautiful work on the revolver and the Eagle Cokes! S&W should take notice on how fine the combination looks! IMO, full-size target stocks look sort of oversized on a M-17, but they look perfect on your 617 - must be the long underlug that balances things out.

xtm

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Beautiful work on the revolver and the Eagle Cokes! S&W should take notice on how fine the combination looks! IMO, full-size target stocks look sort of oversized on a M-17, but they look perfect on your 617

Hello Xtimberman
When I swapped into this revolver late fall of this year, it came with it's standard issue factory "Good-Year's" I suppose Rubber grips are fine on Big Bore Magnum style hand Guns for Recoil Purposes, but to me Not on a .22 Revolver.. :roll: Being that the New Generation 617's are of Round Butt Configuration it Post's a Bit of a Problem finding wood larger style target grips. I Can't be certain who is Making the Wood Grip's for S&W Now, but I as Unable to find any Smooth Coke Profile grips for this revolver. Keith Brown Makes some Dynamite Looking wood Grips in a round Butt conversion, But his waiting list is Long. The Only other Option in real wood grips out there that I could find was Karl Nill Grips from Germany.

He makes some Fantastic Coke Profile checkered grip's But again, Nothing in a smooth style Target grip. I chose to go with a set of Eagle brand Grips and called them to place my Order. I stressed when ordering them, that I wanted Book grain Matched wood, so they assured me the set I Ordered would be hand selected for High grain definition and Book grain Match. I received them a few days after ordering them, and was Not Impressed with their fit or finish. They Looked Orange in Color to me, and The Coke Profile Palm Swell only appeared on the right hand grip Panel. I called them and asked why the Profile was only on one panel and why they fell short of meeting the back strap along with what I call the Upper wing area, and they told me that Not all S&W revolver frames run the same size. That was a new one on me as i thought S&W Frame sizes were standardized back in the late 1950 time span ?

I Think Eagle Grips are made in Brazil and sent to The United States as a finished Product to sell, as they are stamped on the Rear Brazil and I was told that the wood was Brazilian Rosewood. They were Nice enough when I called them about the fit and Finish Issues that Bothered me, But I felt if I sent them Back, I may end up with Ones that either fit worse or did Not match in grain, so I shaped Both Panels to have a Well Pronounced Palm swell that fit my hand, and dropped the Overall Thickness of them. I then shaped the bottom's with a more Oval shape as the Original Coke's had and Placed a slight Bell shape to them. I chose a set of Pre-War Factory emblems as these grips are of Larger profile, and set them into The wood by using a 13/32" Mill End Bit on my Drill press. I them sanded them down smooth and applied an Arrow wood finish to them.

Arrow finish is applied by sanding it as you go with different grades of sand paper starting out with 320, Then 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and finishing up with 2000 Grit, This finish Places a Urethane Semi Gloss finish very similar to the Original Coke profile Factory finish and as you sand it in, it fills the grain and wood Pores to Bring out the maximum wood grain definition. To me, They Now Look Decent but someday I want to order a set of Karl Nill Coke Profile grips as shown and the Link provided below. His Price is Not all that Bad considering the cost of everything else today. Regards, Hammerdown

http://mactec-militaryarms.com/nill-grips-swrev.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had one of the aluminum cylinder 617s with a 6" barrel. I did not like the balance compared to my M17 so I did not shoot it much and eventually sold it. I tried a friend's 4" 617 and could not believe how much better it felt to me. I had to go to three gun shows before I could find a 4" 617 but I have one now and it is one of my favorite 22s. I also picked up a 3" 317 but that story is for another time.
Mark

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe these are some of S&W's prime products. I just wish I could locate a four incher without the underlug. :(

If anyone knows where I can get a hold of one I would sure like to know.

bdGreen

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd been looking for both of these for years, until one day, I was just messing around on the internet and found both for sale on the same site! Since then, I've been lucky enough to find a second copy of each. They are probably my favorite Smiths. :D

617 no dash, 4", Ashland no lug

617 no dash, 6", Ashland no lug

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just arranged to buy my first Smith & Wesson :bluelogo:, a model 617-1! Unfortunately since I'm in Denmark, it'll take a few weeks for the paperwork to through before I can actually get it.

Here is a photo of it from the dealers website. Any ideas on how old it is?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts