Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a customized Ruger Blackhawk that had a scratch along the barrel and I wanted to fix it. Well polished out the scratch and then had to reblue the area. So got a cold blue kit and first cleaned and de-greased several times. Then reblued the area about three times. Think it turned out out nice. First is the polished area and last is the finished gun. Was easier than I thought. Just did not rush it. Next will refinish a sawed off shotgun for brother that was neglected but very functional for a truck gun.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Hey Jeep,

Well done!

Like the Ruger SA Revolvers!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
never owned one in 357, got .22 .41 & .44 all Magnum. Ruger make a Tank. If you run out of ammo beat them to death with it mate..

thewelshm

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
never owned one in 357, got .22 .41 & .44 all Magnum. Ruger make a Tank. If you run out of ammo beat them to death with it mate..

thewelshm
Hey Welsh,

Can bore 'em to death. Make 'em read the 30,000 words on the barrel! LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
That's a pretty darn good match up with the original bluing, which is unusual for a cold blue.

I'm curious about the brand of the kit you used.

I've settled on using Oxpho-Blue from Brownells, it can be stubborn to take hold on some steel alloys, but it's been the most durable cold blue that I've used.

I replaced the alloy grip frame on an Old Model Blackhawk with a steel grip frame used on the Ruger Old Army BP revolver. It was "in the white", and needed to be fitted and blued. I used Oxpho-Blue on it, it's been 10 years now and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
21,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a pretty darn good match up with the original bluing, which is unusual for a cold blue.

I'm curious about the brand of the kit you used.

I've settled on using Oxpho-Blue from Brownells, it can be stubborn to take hold on some steel alloys, but it's been the most durable I've found.

I replaced the alloy grip frame on an Old Model Blackhawk with a steel grip frame used on the Ruger Old Army BP revolver. It was "in the white", and needed to be fitted and blued. I used Oxpho-Blue on it, it's been 10 years now and it's still going strong.

View attachment 465206

View attachment 465207
Used Birchwood Casey in a tube seems to be a little thicker than the bottle. I had both.
That is a very nice looking job on that old Blackhawk.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Hey Golphin,

Good to see ya!

How 'bout a pair in .......................45LC?

Later, Mark

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
here's mine not a 357 in sight:)

thewelshm

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts