Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several Winchester M-70s - and dearly love 'em, but this one isn't mine. My son inherited this rifle from a relative when he was a little fellow. It's a Super Grade .243 Win. made in 1955 - probably one of the very first .243s ever made. It came to him practically unfired with the hanging tag and original packing box - and 12 boxes of original ammo from that same year. One of the boxes had 3 empties in it, so I'm guessing that is all the original owner ever fired it.

The scope was mounted on it when it was bought and is a B&L Bal-Var 2.5-8x with the external windage and elevation adjustments on the mountings. The scope has no internal sighting adjustments!

Anyone else like M-70s?

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
XTM,

I see we have a common affliction! :p

My Dad was a Model 70 Guy and I guess I got it from him.... and I passed it on to my Youngest Son, Ryan.

Between us we have near a dozen around here, mostly featherweights. 6.5, .270, .257 Roberts, 7 x 57, our Sporters are in .30 Gov. and we have one Super Grade .300 H&H. There's an "Alaskan" in .375 H&H and and "African" in .458 WCF. However, unlike your fine example, all our 70's are later post '64's.

Our pre-64 Winchester Bolts are all pre-war.... Model 54's. A Super Grade, a First Model Carbine, a Stainless, several Standards. Calibers are .30 Gov. '06, .30 WCF, .30 WCF Ackley Imp., and most recently a 7 x 57.

I really should get them into snapshots.... You might be able to pick some of them out from this snapshot of the "Mancave"..... some of the Winchester Bolts are are the far end of the rack.

Drew

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I like M-54s more than I do M-70s!

I have few regrets on old trades, but one of them was letting go a M-54 with deluxe checkered wood and Lyman receiver sight in .30 WCF. It might have been a Super Grade, but I don't recall it being so marked anywhere.

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Supergrade 54's have a contrasting forend tip as opposed to the snabel shaped forend. Also, the floor plate is so marked as in 70's. All Supers are rare.... a .30 WCF would be doubly so. Most were in .270 or .30 Gov. '06.

I'm told that the .30-30's are uncommon.... I must've cut into a vein of them..... for some goofy reason I ended up with three of them.... one has been Ackley Improved.

My oldest Son, DJ hunts with a 54 I gave him for his 16th Birthday..... It came out of Texas.... (sorry! :) )..... he's piled up alot of white tails with that rifle using both the origional Lyman 48J Long Slide and a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9X.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was a "Standard" rifle, then. It had the snabel (sp.?)forend.

I'm really glad to have that clarified. I'm still peeved at myself for trading it off - but not quite so much now that I know it wasn't a Super Grade M-54. :)

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
xtm,

If you like 54's and can get a chance, take a look at the most recent issue of "Winchester Collector" magazine, Spring 2009.

Loyd Thomsen has written a very good article "The Forgotten 54", wherein he details some interesting variations and unbelievable chamberings.... like how about .38-55 and .25-20? Or .219 Zipper?

If you can't find a copy, drop me a line and I'll mail you a photocopy....

Drew

·
Registered
20,164 Posts
xtm, Beautiful rifle....wish I had one like that! ;) About the scope.....how do you zero it? I've seen a few like that. I imagine you have to adjust the rings, and shim the base.

Drew, Have you considered opening a gunshop in your "mancave". You have a good selection, there!!! :lol: Let me know if you want to get rid of a Winchester M-70.........cheap!!! :roll: Bob

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob K said:
xtm,......About the scope.....how do you zero it? I've seen a few like that. I imagine you have to adjust the rings, and shim the base Bob
Bob,

In the photograph of the left side of the scope, you can see the two adjustment screws on the scope base for windage and elevation - one shows you which way to go "L" and the other one "UP". You use a nickel to loosen the lock screws on the other side then turn these with the same coin to make the adjustments. The white graduated marks on this particular set-up are amazingly precise and repeatable.

Some exceptional precision must have been taken when B&L manufactured these bases. It is attached via the screw holes pre-drilled and plugged by Winchester for scope attachment - no shims used on this installation.

xtm

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
The M-70 in .243...a great combo for white tail in my neck of the woods. kfjdrfirii

Thanks for sharing! :D

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MOONDAWG said:
The M-70 in .243...a great combo for white tail in my neck of the woods.
So true! This one has actually been used in your neck of the woods - but just across the line in s. Alabama. :)

xtm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts