Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you all for your input on what was missing in my modest collection of 22 caliber handguns. One front runner was certainly the Model 41, here and on the Colt forum. As luck would have it a Model 41, in my modest price range, came to my attention. This is a shooter - not a safe queen or collector piece, but I am delighted to have it. (and delighted to save it from the ravages of damp storage.) Here is an example of what happens if you storage a gun in cheap soft foam on the wet coast. The internals needed a complete cleaning with 0000 wool and lots of oil, but it was surface. The barrel escaped thankfully.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

As you can see the left side is in good shape with just honest wear from being used and enjoyed. The right side was not so lucky, and some of the bluing has flecked away, especially on the front most narrow portion on the slide. I am torn between leaving it clean and safe from rust versus giving it the Oxpho- Blue treatment on those portions.

Anyway, everything works well now, and the grips survived well, having spent their time makng sure that the frame corroded underneath them. Very little metal loss, just not a pretty sight. It's a 1958 issue.
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Airsoft gun

I am not familiar with the short barrel end addition on this piece. Not a muzzle brake. Experts weigh in please.

Revolver

·
Premium Member
13,678 Posts
That 7 inch barrel is a long one... I actually bought the shorter barrel for mine after acquiring one like yours. A friend who's a bullseye shooter bought the long barrel...

These are tack drivers.

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
Not sure but that may be a counter-weight piece on the end, so there is almost no muzzle bounce when shooting is my guess. Cool old S&W. Personally I would steel wool then re-blue the worn areas to prevent future rust. Its a shooter so no harm in value and it could even increase it if it comes out looking good.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I thought that the end piece that is on there is a protective cap used when the muzzle break is not installed. I thought it was a normal piece for an older 7" barrel that is capable of having the muzzle break attached or removed as the owner wishes.. Newer 7" barrels don't always have that option of using a muzzle break. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thank you all for your input on what was missing in my modest collection of 22 caliber handguns. One front runner was certainly the Model 41, here and on the Colt forum. As luck would have it a Model 41, in my modest price range, came to my attention. This is a shooter - not a safe queen or collector piece, but I am delighted to have it. (and delighted to save it from the ravages of damp storage.) Here is an example of what happens if you storage a gun in cheap soft foam on the wet coast. The internals needed a complete cleaning with 0000 wool and lots of oil, but it was surface. The barrel escaped thankfully.
View attachment 485201
As you can see the left side is in good shape with just honest wear from being used and enjoyed. The right side was not so lucky, and some of the bluing has flecked away, especially on the front most narrow portion on the slide. I am torn between leaving it clean and safe from rust versus giving it the Oxpho- Blue treatment on those portions.

Anyway, everything works well now, and the grips survived well, having spent their time makng sure that the frame corroded underneath them. Very little metal loss, just not a pretty sight. It's a 1958 issue.
View attachment 485202

I am not familiar with the short barrel end addition on this piece. Not a muzzle brake. Experts weigh in please.

View attachment 485203
It's called a false Muzzle, installed when the Muzzle Break is removed to make the barrel have the finished look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts