Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This .455 Hand Ejector, Second Model, Target was made for Francis Lee Herreshoff in June 1916. Mr. Herreshoff was a friend of the Wesson family and it was built for him at their request. It is chambered in 45 Colt caliber and has a 3 3/4-inch barrel. This handgun is no longer in my collection as I sold all but one of my pre-WW II guns a number of years ago. I thought I would post a photo of it for those of you who have not seen it.

Bill

G

·
0 Posts
Simply amazing. A one-of S&W in a caliber that nobody would have guessed. First time I've seen you post this one, and I've been following your collections for years...

Thanks for sharing...

giz

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is a beautiful gun but with target sight looks ridiculous. Not trying to fluff any feathers, just my opinion.:)
DW

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I can't think of anything else to say but WOW!

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Interesting revolver. I think that choice of front sight makes it appear a bit 'off'. The barrel length is also curious. With the Regestered Magnum having a 3 1/2" barrel as a length starting point, was this barrel the fore runner of the short barreled N frame guns?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I think that is a great configuration for a big bore revolver. I would want something like that for a 1917 African Safari. Carry it in a shoulder holster under a safari juacket. Shoot lions and Zulu's as need be. What a great, compact, powerful pistol.
Will a .45 Colt kill a lion? :D
[email protected]

G

·
0 Posts
Would I have seen this at the S&W Collection at the NRA Convention in St. Louis 2 years ago?

I drooled.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bill,
That is a great revolver and I love it every time I see it, but the favorite of mine that you owned and I'm sure everyone would want to see is the 4" Target Pre War 3d Model! :D
Bill

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ed...there was one owner between me and the "guy out west". I decided I most enjoyed S&Ws from the 50s and 60s and so the pre-war guns went to collectors who needed them for their collections.

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi
here is a little update on the 45 colt 2nd Model 455, one of a kind.
It is in my collection and was displayed at the annual
NRA show in saint louis in 2007 where it won a silver metal
one of 10 given to the best handguns of the show.
The silver metals stay with the guns for ever. If this gun is ever sold
the metal must go with the gun.
Its a great piece and is one of those things that can never be
replaced.
jim S&WCA Member 1491

1 - 15 of 15 Posts