Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
Discussion Starter #1
since we've been hunkered down for 3 full weeks now (working from home, daughter home from school, wife at home) haven't paid much attention to the gun/ammo situation.

Was thinking i'd go out during the week to one of the WMA (wildlife management area) outdoor ranges and wanted some .303 to feed the enfields and jumped on-line - boy did i get a surprise!

Of course, i immediately panicked and started trying to find somewhere that had ammo (any ammo!) i could buy.

Shortly thereafter my mind cleared and 'Blazer, I sez - why dont you see what you really need?'.

The answer of course, is nothing.. i have that stack of rubber tubs in the back closet, some of which I hadn't even looked in for years.
It's focused on my core requirements - 308 (for the armalite and the scoped ruger bolt gun), 45 acp (for the belt guns - the shields and the 1911's), 38/357 (we know what those are for), and plenty of rimfire..

BlazerMarks ammo rules of the 'pockylips (based on listening to the folks around here after the last shortage) - at least 250 rounds of every caliber I like to shoot. 2000 rounds of each 'core' caliber, with enough magazines/speed loader/moon clips/tuff strips to support a battle pack (200 rounds)

Oh, yea - that 303 ? truth be told, there are at least 2 cans somewhere in that closet, now if i can just get the SIL over to drag those dang things out of there.. 95876yt

stay safe friends, and watch your top knots.. .

Registered
If I had not started loading my own about 5 years ago, I probably would be scrambling to find more. As it is, I figure I have about 2 years worth of components to load 38/357, 45, 9mm, 40 and .380 on hand plus at least 500 rounds of reloads in each of those caliber already loaded. I also keep 500 rounds of each of those calibers in factory ammo.
Rimfire has been cheap and plentiful for the past couple years. Anyone that didn't stockpile a few bricks after the Obama 22 shortage years deserves to be without.

Registered
Got plenty of ammo...........

Might be willing trade one 20 rd box of Hornady 308 Win GMX TAP Barrier

For two full cases of Charmin Mega

Jest kiddin'.....We's still got Y2K TP...

Registered
40lbs of powder tons of brass, primer s ,and lead. Further ahead than the Alamo..

thewelshm

Registered
A little voice whispered to me to buy more 9mm for Gramps about a month ago. I once again reviewed with him how much he has and we agreed that he really doesn't need more. WRONG!!!!!! TOO LATE NOW, with prices 10 cents per round higher than they were just a month or so ago. Last time prices skyrocketed like that it took 10 years or more for them to come back down to reasonable levels.

Of course that is all moot because it seems there is NO brass case copper coated 9mm ammo available anywhere.

One thing that will help us keep our ammo use to reasonable levels is the fact that our club's outdoor ranges are "OK to use" but the club is closed and people are expected to completely clean up after themselves. I fear it is going to get really messy/junky in a hurry out there.

Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
Discussion Starter #12
Just bought 1,000 .45 acp & 500 9 mm this morning. Spent near $595 after tax. Needed a little top off.
i was looking to get some more bulk 45acp last month for the regular shooting pile, but decided to wait a bit ... missed that boat.. still got plenty especially since the local range is closed to members only ....

Registered
I'm in great shape. Have stocked up on factory stuff and did a lot of reloading before I retired. Home Health Care sent an occupational therapist here Thursday to assess my mobility etc. which is very good considering and we were discussing the craziness and he said he had an XD .45 at home for protection and had ordered a shotgun but it hadn't arrived yet. I asked if he had any ammunition for it and he said not yet, so I took him in the gun room and gave him about 200 rds. of buckshot and slugs and a couple boxes of birdshot, and 200 rds. of .45's. There are lots of ways we can help each other out in this thing and I made sure he knew how much I appreciated people like him going out into sick people's homes right now. He wanted to pay me in case somehow they found out about it at work, so I finally said give me $20 and you can say you paid me. No one needs to know how much and he said if we needed any help with anything call him.

OldFarmBoy

Registered
Had a different experience yesterday. We happen to be visiting the Oregon Coast so I thought I'd check out a local shop. You know, just to see if they had any ammo, etc. left. Turned out to be a Mom and Pop operation, just the 2 old folks there and it really is geared more to rock polishing, etc. As I walked into the shop, saw right off they only had a couple boxes of ammo left, nothing I needed, but started up a conversation with the Lady. As soon as she found out we were just visiting, and had been here since before all the crazyness started, she started in. Why are you here? Why aren't you already back home where you would have better health care available? (she had no idea where we were from) What are you doing out possibly spreading that virus around here? And this went on and on. All through this Pop was just standing there trying to shut her up so he could try and sell something. He finally caught her taking a breath and I managed to ask if he had any small rifle primers. Turned out he had a couple K and after telling me what the price was, not doing any gouging, I said I'd take them. That set Mom off again, why are you selling him both boxes? Why aren't you limiting him to 1 box? Pop just scanned them, handed them to me, took my money, and thanked me. All the time rolling his eyes over Mom trying to run off probably the only customers they had all day. We left the store, got back in the car and started laughing. Never saw anyone try harder to run of customers that that old Lady. So yes folks, it is getting crazy out there.

Joe

Registered
A little voice whispered to me to buy more 9mm for Gramps about a month ago. I once again reviewed with him how much he has and we agreed that he really doesn't need more. WRONG!!!!!! TOO LATE NOW, with prices 10 cents per round higher than they were just a month or so ago. Last time prices skyrocketed like that it took 10 years or more for them to come back down to reasonable levels.

Of course that is all moot because it seems there is NO brass case copper coated 9mm ammo available anywhere.

One thing that will help us keep our ammo use to reasonable levels is the fact that our club's outdoor ranges are "OK to use" but the club is closed and people are expected to completely clean up after themselves. I fear it is going to get really messy/junky in a hurry out there.
good time to get into reloading...

thewelshm

Registered
While buying ammo I was talking to the owner, Alan Orr (Orr Tactical of Needville, TX). He is down to just a case or two of .45 and won't be making any for awhile due to his needing to focus on demand for 9mm & 5.56mm. They are working 20 hr days to try and meet demand. Yes, he is having to raise prices, not to gouge people, but his price of raw materials in going up as he orders more. I don't doubt him for a second. He's a retired USMC colonel and a completely stand-up fellow.

For the hell of it, I stopped by the Academy in Rosenberg and all they had on their shelves was 10mm, .380 acp, some 12 and 20 ga birdshot, and a few assorted boxes of uncommon rifle calibers.

Super Moderator
Honestly, I have somewhere around 45-50 ammo cans filled pretty much to the top. We started buying it right after Obama was elected. Corlinda told me if I felt I needed it, and if it was for sale at a good price to buy what I could, whenever I could. So for those needing a slice of advice, when the wife says buy, do so, because someday she might change her mind.
If necessary we can move all of the ammo and my guns to a secure location to ride out the storm. Hopefully we'll never be in that position, but this is starting to feel like the night of the living dead. My primary ammo needs will be met, and my secondary needs are stocked even better. If I get to the point I need to start reloading I have more powder, casings and bullet than I'll shoot in a lifetime, since we're all hunkered down. Or, They can be used as money for bartering or to sell if anybody want's it.

Who really needs 1,000 of Swiss 7.5, or 4,000 rounds of Russian 7.62x54R. I somehow I even managed have 2,000 rounds of 7.5 French (well at least those 3 rifles weren't used or abused much. I hear they were only dropped once, so they're no very banged up after all. Unreal!
Here's my French 49-56

MAS 1946-56_2.jpg

Attachments

Registered
I reload and have plenty of material. Loading some LSWC in 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 45-70. All the rest I have in good amounts as they are on schedule after these. 22 and 22 Mag ammo is good.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts