Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at a gun store the other day I overheard a conversation between a woman and the salesman about her purchase of her first carry gun. She exclaimed she was having trouble racking the slide on her husbands Ruger LC9 and wanted something easier to use.Plus the recoil was a bit more than she liked. The salesman quickly shuffled her over to the case with all the latest EZ auto-rack guns and produced a .22 that would best suit her. When handed the 22 she was amazed by how EZ it was to rack...plus the salesman was showing her alternative ways to rack the slide using the sites on a sharp surface.

What I also noticed was the shop had very few choices in small revolvers, as in none, other than a few "vintage" units in the sparse revolver case.

When asked about this..he agreed that a double action revolver would be a dandy choice for anyone getting into the game.
However..most people see revolvers along the same lines as a horse and buggy for transportation; antiquated, mainly because they just don't see them being used routinely.

In other words..Hollywood. If they are not being used on TV shows..or in movies..a revolver surely must be old and outdated.

The shop stocks what sells; Autoloaders with glowing sites and laser pointers move very well.

What a shame that one of the best handgun designs ever made..the J frame size revolver, especially for a newbie to master, is being overlooked, manly because they are so overshadowed by all the autoloaders.

As I left, another group of customers were fawning over the EZ autoloaders and the lowly revolver case was gathering dust.

Made me a little sad...

·
Premium Member
10,774 Posts
Now you're seeing the impact of fake media and it's convergence with marketing.

What you don't see is a number of students that i have show up in Basic Pistol classes that show up with completely inappropriate handguns that they are unable to operate. They are always the one that the student trusted the sales clerk to sell them. Or the trusted relative to select. Very few of these selections are actually based on the needs of the student.

I do what i can to show students the adaptive approaches to actually using what they bought. In some cases, where they bought the cost reduced versions of products, the brand new handguns mechanically fail. In one case years ago, the trigger of a brand new S&W Sigma a student brought in was so sloppy and inconsistent that he (and ultimately I) couldn't accurately fire it. In others, brand new guns have jammed or repeatedly failed to cycle / eject / load properly.

Understand that the vast majority of buyers never bother to go to a class. The incidence of this kind of thing I have seen in classes implies that there are quite a few guns in drawers in homes that the owner may have fired once or twice at a range, and then put in the drawer thinking that the presence of the gun (instead of the skill shooting it) would protect them in the awful possibility that they would need to use it.

With that done, it's back to watching people misuse handguns and fully automatic weapons on television.

·
Registered
17,480 Posts
I fortunately have both (the revolvers far outnumber the semis) and both grandsons have had opportunity to shoot both. The semis I have are in the 22 LR, 10mm, or 45 caliber. I also have single Action and Double Action revolvers in 22 LR, 22 mag, 32 Long, S&W 38, 38 Sp/257 mag, 31 mag, 45 ACP/45 Colt. They love the revolvers and even the oldest grandson says there is something really attractive about a revolver. Glad could give them both an opportunity to try different guns and calibers to get to thei favorites.

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
I really like my revolvers but for now I'm on a Colt Government Model kick. I shot my 38 super well and that renewed my interest on old slab sides.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My wife recently started to carry for self defense. Having a few handguns to choose from, I offered her an assortment to try. I pretty much kept anything over 9mm out of the field.

The least intimidating for her were the revolvers. No magazines, simple to load..easy to fire, easy to understand how they functioned. If you have a misfire..just pull the trigger again. No rack and clear etc etc.

I showed her all the alternatives...she shot a few and decided she liked the 642 the best, although the 43c was a close second, but she had trouble handling those "messy" tiny rounds. Fair enough. She handles the firearm well and with standard velocity 38 Special rounds is on target and not intimidated.

Had she gone to the gun store, I am most certain she would have left with an autoloader of some sort.

Hence my post. If you don't know there is an alternative..that works exceptionally well...especially for newbies... you will get what is offered.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I fortunately have both (the revolvers far outnumber the semis) and both grandsons have had opportunity to shoot both. The semis I have are in the 22 LR, 10mm, or 45 caliber. I also have single Action and Double Action revolvers in 22 LR, 22 mag, 32 Long, S&W 38, 38 Sp/257 mag, 31 mag, 45 ACP/45 Colt. They love the revolvers and even the oldest grandson says there is something really attractive about a revolver. Glad could give them both an opportunity to try different guns and calibers to get to thei favorites.
Similar here with my kids. Oldest son seems split (2 semis/2 revolvers) , #2 son is a revolver guy- but it has to be Scandium. The two older girls like autoloaders better, but daughter # 3 likes K frames and the Rami (split). Son#3 is Mr M-Frame. Always has to shoot the Ladysmiths. Probably an I/J frame fan as he gets older.

Seems given the choice, folks gravitate to what they like best. Thing is, as noted above, not a lot of people grow up shooting a wide variety of handguns so they go with what they see most- fantastic plastic.

Edit: This has the makings of an interesting experiment. :idea:

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,690 Posts
My wife carried an S&W 640 .357 magnum for many years until her arthritis got so bad she needed both index fingers to pull the double-action-only trigger. She tried several semi-auto pistols and settled on a Sig P938 9mm as her current carry gun.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have several semi-auto handguns, in .380,9mm and .45, and I really enjoy shooting them. However, having developed arthritis in my left hand, effecting particularly the thumb and a condition called Duyputrens Contraction, effecting the other fingers on my left hand, my EDC is now by necessity, a revolver.
In a situation where I would have to draw and fire a handgun, I could not rely on my left hand to effectively rack the slide or clear a failure to feed or failure to eject condition. So, while the revolver may be overlooked by many, not me; I always have either my model 60 or my model 66 on my hip.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
For the recoil sensitive who want a fairly light and compact revolver without much compromise of capacity, there's the new Charter Arms Professional. 7 rounds of .32 H&R Magnum.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I knew a lady w/ terrible arthritis whose husbands job often required him to be out of state. She couldn't begin to use a DA revolver much less an autoloader. She usually went to their remote summer cottage where it was quiet & peaceful to write (well known author) & brought along her Ruger .22 magnum Single Six. She used it to dispatch skunks & rattlesnakes, cocking it w/ her left hand while holding it in her right. One night she heard glass breaking & met an idiot crawling through a window & advised him to lay spread eagled on the floor until a deputy arrived or she'd send him the same place she did other varmints. He did. Over 1/2 hour later when deputies arrived she was sitting in her rocker, reading him the Bible all the while holding her gun on him. They did the rough, cuff & stuff routine while a neighbor nailed a piece of plywood over the window. Before they left they asked if she needed anything else? She asked them to lower the hammer on her gun since it was hard for her... unless she shot it.
I knew an older deputy who carried a .45 Colt SAA & was in 2 gunfights... & where the 3 graves of the losers are. Even a single action can serve well if needed.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Look at the bright side. At least the lib's and Mothers against guns won't be after the lowly 5, 6, or 7 shot revolvers since they hold less than 10 rounds.

And sooner or later at gun shops all over this great nation the lowly revolver prices will drop, because gun shops won't be able to sell them due to the fallen revolver market.
That is, until you want to buy one. Then they've become priceless antiques, valued for their ruggedness and reliability, and since there are so few out there they become valued so much more for their rarity on the market..

·
Registered
394 Posts
I knew a lady w/ terrible arthritis whose husbands job often required him to be out of state. She couldn't begin to use a DA revolver much less an autoloader. She usually went to their remote summer cottage where it was quiet & peaceful to write (well known author) & brought along her Ruger .22 magnum Single Six. She used it to dispatch skunks & rattlesnakes, cocking it w/ her left hand while holding it in her right. One night she heard glass breaking & met an idiot crawling through a window & advised him to lay spread eagled on the floor until a deputy arrived or she'd send him the same place she did other varmints. He did. Over 1/2 hour later when deputies arrived she was sitting in her rocker, reading him the Bible all the while holding her gun on him. They did the rough, cuff & stuff routine while a neighbor nailed a piece of plywood over the window. Before they left they asked if she needed anything else? She asked them to lower the hammer on her gun since it was hard for her... unless she shot it.
I knew an older deputy who carried a .45 Colt SAA & was in 2 gunfights... & where the 3 graves of the losers are. Even a single action can serve well if needed.
Those are my kind of people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts