Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been seeing the tracks of this fair sized male for a month, finally got my first look at him last evening out back. Elusive to say the least, though I am sure I've gotten close to him twice before but couldn't see him in the heavy brush. I am guessing a live weight of 300 give or take. This was taken in the driveway next door a minute later. He looks pretty good, now to start hunting with the Nikon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZqeLVMohb0

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Good video! Nice job. That sure is a beautiful animal.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Geoff,

Bears can be tough to judge size wise, but I think your estimation may be close. A few things to look for are: the size of the ears (on a big bear the ears will appear quite small), the size of the head (again, in proportion the head will look small on a larger bear) and the legs. A big, aka fat, bear will appear to have short legs as the body will hang lower.

That is a good bear!

I'm just surprised it walked right past those bait barrels. :lol:

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Nice job, Geoff!!! Around here, that would be a ....BIG BEAR. I think the state record, taken 1 or 2 years ago, just south of here, was
350 lbs. ! (Don't hold me to that..... :roll: ) The bears are fairly numerous aroud here, and west, into the Berkshires.

Went camping a few years back in the State campground, in Charlemont,MA., at the Eastern edge of the rough country. We saw a few smaller bears cruise thru the campsites, looking for food. Some campers were banging on pots, while others, with video cams, just walked up to the bears like they were house pets. BAD MISTAKE!!! :eek: These are WILD animals!!! They have become accustomed to humans, and their food......but they are still dangerous. Bob

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob
The heaviest black bear taken in Massachusetts is 467 pounds field dressed, in 2001. In the Berkshires. Both Maine and NH have broken through the 500 pound mark, and its probably a safe bet to say that sooner or later Massachusetts will too (if they don't outlaw hunting before it happens) I am not positive but I think Vermont also has surpassed 500 lbs, just this past year or the year before. Call me crazy, but we may live to see someone in New England hit the 600 lb mark before too many more years go by. Bear management is slowly providing us with bigger and bigger animals, though they will never be common sized.
The world record black bear is an 880 pound male shot in North Carolina in 1998. It was 10 1/2 years old when shot.
An 856½ lb. male, 7 ft. 9 in. long, was killed by an automobile in Manitoba in August 2001. This bear lost an estimated 30 lbs. of body fluids between time of death and weighing, so it probably would have been a record if promptly weighed. Some Minnesota and Wisconsin bears also have exceeded 800 lbs.
The heaviest female black bear was recorded in Minnesota in 1993, and weighed 520 lbs.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Thanks for the correction,Geoff. I thought about 450, but I was hesitant to post it! I think it was taken in Southampton, about 10 miles from my house. I hunt there quite often. It's near Mt. Tom State Reservation (No Hunting Allowed), which probably accounts for it's weight. (If you correct me again.......I'll be PO'd! :lol: ) Bob

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Of course, Geoff, state records get broken all the time, in different years. We may not be speaking of the same bear.........but, it sounds familiar....... :lol: Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts