Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the late 70s I walked into the local gun shop outside Little Rock A.F.B. and fouind a old WWII era 1911. I thought it wound do for a knock around pistol and bought it for 70 dollars. It worked just as a 1911 should with no problems. Not long after I was ordered to Okinawa and while on leave stored them at my Father's house until we returned.
Four 1/2 years later we ewre assigned to a very cold base in N.D. and not long after getting settled we are notified that we were over weight on our baggage from Okinawa. It ended up with me having to sell all my weapons to help pay the government back.
The items consisted of my Colt SP1 rifle, 870 police shotgun, several S&S revolvers Colt 1911, and a few others, not to mention that old 45 automatic. Two years later we returned to Okinawa and when we came back we found ourselves once again overweight for the exact amount as before. We had heard of other people with the same problem and tehe same weight. That's another story.
One day I was talking to someone and the old 1911 came up. I was asked what type it was and I told him it was a Singer Sewing Machine. He asked if I still had it and did I know what it was worth. I said no and he told me. It has gone up a lot since then. Back then nobody knew much about it otherwise the shop would not have sold it. Back then it was just an old 45 automatic
How would you feel if this happened to you?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'd feel terrible, thankfully it has not happened to me yet. Not that it couldn't happen, just hasn't happened yet. I did sell a few guns that I wish I had kept, a like new Thompson 1927 A1 Deluxe that I bought new for $500.00 and sold for $750.00, it would be worth about $2000.00 now since it was a West Hurley. And a Franchi Spas 12 folder with hook that was like new, Wife bought it for me new as a birthday present for $500.00. I sold it for $900.00, it would be worth about $2000.00 now. The Thompson was especially nice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When we got our stuff back that was in storage we found that all my tool had been taken, but they left the tool box. I found a nice cedar closet and when I opened it I found feathers and bird seed. We later found out that they were renting out our things while we were away. It was a good thing we left the weapons in NJ at my old house. I got worried when I looked for them where I had left them and they were gone. For safety my Father hid them in a secret place in my closet that I didn't even know was there. It turns out that it wasn't so much the gun laws back then but my middle brother he was hiding them from.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My dad was in the Air Force. Every time we moved, stuff would come up missing
I heard stories from my father about some guys from a moving company in the early 60's getting caught stealing coins, jewelry, and even guns from military families when they moved. It seems they got away with it for a long time before they finally got busted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts