Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm signed up for another course at Sig Sauer Academy soon. One of the requirements is that you have a strong side holster that you can use. I called today to ask a couple of questions. During that conversation it came out they expect that holster to be an OWB style. Well, I had planned on using my daily carry gun, a Glock 23, for the course but I don't have an OWB holster for it. My carry rig is a Mitch Rosen IWB holster. So the point of all of this rambling is that my old S&W 5906 may get the nod. For that I have an El Paso Crosshair holster that will fit the bill. This course at Sig Sauer Academy is another "handgun" course and not specifically a concealed carry course so that is likely why the teach using the OWB holster. I'll bring both guns and both rigs and see what happens. I can say that I'm a little giddy about the possibility of having the 5906 getting some long over due duty.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Sound like a great time... I don't know if you heard, but there are quite a few OWB holsters available for Glocks nowadays... apparently they are pretty popular! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Too Bad you're a lefty Cush.... I've got some truly spectacular OWB holsters you could use including a FED-SPEC DeSantis 001 C9 that has become a favorite of mine... This holster is designed to be able to correctly secure and present either a Sig, Glock or H&K.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
f150guy said:
Sound like a great time... I don't know if you heard, but there are quite a few OWB holsters available for Glocks nowadays... apparently they are pretty popular! :mrgreen:
Ha! :lol:

I bet some of them stores up there would even carry a lefty holster for the glock!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
f150guy said:
Nframe said:
Ha! :lol:

I bet some of them stores up there would even carry a lefty holster for the glock!
Hey, I didn't come here to be made sport of! ;)

Actually, I didn't think I needed an OWB holster for the Glock because I never carry that way. Now I need to come up with a double mag pouch for the 5906 before Monday. Maybe Drew can help a brothah out. After all, the mag pouch doesn't need to be left handed. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Cush,

You're welcome to use any leather you can find here.... come on over and we'll dig through the bins and boxes.

Coffee's on anytime you're up to it.

Would be good to see you twice in one week....

Come to think of it, I may actually have an OWB Ambi here that goes both ways...

Drew

·
Super Moderator
19,373 Posts
Hey Cush,
That is a very good looking setup you have there.
Cush you gotta let us see your 5906 outside of the holster.
Can you give me the model number and brand of your holster in the picture?

I've got a 669 but my OWB holster is black and right handed. I'm learning really well on how to shoot right handed. It's easier than i thought. but I'm going to stay as left handed as possible.
I'm a lefty too so finding a holster for it has been problematic to say the least.
I now have 2 left hand holsters for it. A duty holster and an IWB
Can somebody tell me if the holster for your 5906 will fit my 669 or the other way around.
I'm still looking for a good IWB (front of hip) lefty holster for mine. I have one, but it's behind the back and it's not too comfy when sitting for extended lengths of time (like 15 seconds or more)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the old Smith lost out to the Glock today. :( They were fine with my IWB rig so I ran the Glock 23 and had a hoot! I ran about 250 rounds down range, and at the end of it we were shooting prone, roll over prone and lying on our backs. I have to say that it was the first time I've shot a handgun while looking upside down at the sights. kfjdrfirii We also did plenty of one handed drills using both dominant and non-dominant hands and point shooting.

I'll be back again at some point next year. They have both a revolver course and a 2 day defensive shotgun course that I would like to do.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Cush, sounds like a fun time.

Did they supply ammo or was it all on you?

Shooting upside down huh? Well thats a new one on me.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Cush, Did you get to try the sideways pistol position........that the 'homies' use? Must be for close range shootin'! Bob

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob K said:
Cush, Did you get to try the sideways pistol position........that the 'homies' use? Must be for close range shootin'! Bob
Bob, not "sideways" but when you shoot one handed you can rotate your wrist a few degrees either side of vertical. I found that I could control the recoil better by rotating slightly in toward center. That seemed more comfortable than a vertical grip for me.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
So you shot the Glockster and not the Smith? And they made you lay down on your back and roll over with your gun in your hand? Don't let QC see this thread... he'll come up with some sort of shady remark about that!

Glad you took the course?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
So, you rolled over with your gun in your hand. Shooting upside down? Hahaha...so, is this what they call a "target rich" environment? Must be. Too late, Drew, I already seen it. Between the two of us, we ought to be able to rip this thread a new one.

Nah, I ain't gonna do it. Nope, my poor brain is gonna be constipated and cramped, but I ain't gonna do it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
hvapa;p; nvonjvila

Well, it's good that you enjoyed it. Excellent.

But - your poor 5906 must be in shock. Luckily it's a S&W, so it will be able to deal with the let down. And, to let it know that there is hope, here is a pic of a carry 5906 and strong side IWB holster. Plastic is fine, and I may have a glock or two around here somewhere, but........

;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John, nice looking 5906 you've got there. I've always been partial to the squared trigger guard and bat wing sights myself. Some day maybe I'll add an updated version. ;)

Here's my old soldier. I realized that i didn't have any pictures of her outside of her leather garb. This was as good as I could do today as it is snowing outside.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Looks good, and comforting, to me.

These pistols are usually accurate "enough", about as tough as a rock, and they seem to just keep shooting. Reminds me of what some people like about the AK47 design - although this S&W is more refined.

There are newer designs, good in their own way, but the 5906 is the classic DA 9mm, as the Hi Power is the classic SA 9mm.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Poohgyrr said:
Looks good, and comforting, to me.

These pistols are usually accurate "enough", about as tough as a rock, and they seem to just keep shooting. Reminds me of what some people like about the AK47 design - although this S&W is more refined.

There are newer designs, good in their own way, but the 5906 is the classic DA 9mm, as the Hi Power is the classic SA 9mm.
Not to mention their SA trigger reset is about as good as they come.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Cush said:
John, nice looking 5906 you've got there. I've always been partial to the squared trigger guard and bat wing sights myself. Some day maybe I'll add an updated version. ;)

Here's my old soldier. I realized that i didn't have any pictures of her outside of her leather garb. This was as good as I could do today as it is snowing outside.

Nothing wrong with her, my HD gun, and sometimes CCW is a 639.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts