Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up attending this church. Thankfully, it escaped demolition and is now an entertainment venue, part of an entertainment and fine arts complex. The main auditorium, with its balcony and red velvet curtains hanging from polished brass rails, has been beautifully restored As kids, my friends and I would go up on the roof of the education building (not seen here) during Vacation Bible School and throw small pieces of ice down on pedestrians below.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I grew up in a GARBC Baptist church. The old church is over 100 years old and still standing. That denomination is VERY conservative. You can't drink, smoke, have sex outside of marriage, look at dirty pictures, listen to Rock and Roll, Daynce, go to movies, play any card games or cuss. I was a good boy, I never did drugs. Did all the rest of those durty rotten things.:eek:
When I was 19 God turned me into a Pentecostal.
I now consider myself a Baptiscostal.:cool:
Jim

·
Registered
28,348 Posts

This is the church I grew up in - Dutch Reformed; founded in 1654, this last building is from 1848; the first several buildings were burned down by Indians.

Flatlands Dutch Reformed Church, also known as Flatlands Reformed Church, is a historic Dutch Reformed church at Kings Highway and East 40th Street in the Flatlands neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. The complex consists of the church, administration building, and cemetery. The congregation was founded in 1654. The current church was built in 1848 in the Greek Revival style. The Greek Revival administration building was constructed in 1904; it was enlarged in the 1920s. The cemetery contains about 1,500 burials dating to 1660.[2]
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.[1]
The building in the right rear is the pastor's Manse

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts