Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by a place today that has been closed for a while. Did not know what was up with it, but I feared the worst. I was correct, the guy has cancer. Dwayne has been in that shop for about 20 years and always has a joke or comment for his customers when they walk in. He never did a big amount but enough to get by and his prices were a bit below the normal over priced gun show prices. But I enjoyed talking with him and have bought some stuff from him. Today, his son was in the place and told me about his chemo and other treatments. When I asked about his health insurance coverage, his son laughed.
Long story short, I bought a 19-3, 4", wearing goodyears, with rust under them, no color left on the trigger or hammer, bluing is thin except where it is gone, rear sight is bent. Paid $400. I don't care if that's too much. Getting old I guess
Pics sometime this weekend

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
How much is being a cool guy going for these days? Besides the fact that you dealt in a caring way with a very difficult situation, you didn't haggle over a price that is at least 2 hundred pesos lower than what you'd see at any Arizona Gun Show. I'm sorry Mick, you'll have to suffer through a "lowly K-frame", but I guess sacrifices must be made! nfiofnp Good job man and congrats on what will end up being a treasure. Hey, I have some K's that will make you look at your 28's in a whole different way....cool weather and shooting opportunities are coming up! With your work schedule, I might have to do some shifting, but we'll make something happen.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
A kind gestrue Mick. The sort of thing that will be remembered I bet. I hope the old boy pulls through.... we lost a pretty good shop earlier this year when the owner passed of cancer.

BTW, I think that the N Frame Gods didn't even notice.... they were busy being cheesed off by the guy that did this.....

Makes me want to puke.... thepuke

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Sebago Son said:
A kind gestrue Mick. The sort of thing that will be remembered I bet. I hope the old boy pulls through.... we lost a pretty good shop earlier this year when the owner passed of cancer.

BTW, I think that the N Frame Gods didn't even notice.... they were busy being cheesed off by the guy that did this.....

Ahh, the ugly reality of a decomposing item, must have been buried next to a human corpse I suspect...thanks CSI Drew. kfjdrfirii

·
Super Moderator
32,502 Posts
Sebago Son said:

That poor Smith. hvapa;p; l;gmna;

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Sebago Son said:

Not a great looking finish but a lot of potential. What cartridge is it chambered for and what do you plan to do with it?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
StrawHat said:
Not a great looking finish but a lot of potential. What cartridge is it chambered for and what do you plan to do with it?
StrawHat,

That is a 4" 29-3 for sale elsewhere. Drew owns a couple of fubar'd guns I know (a particular 6" 57 comes to mind), but if he did that to an N-frame he might never see another piece of apple pie from this house! kihfL

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Mick you done good, we should take that as an example of the right thing to do. kfjdrfirii I said a prayer for that man and his family.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Mick Congrats you done good. I hope some good Karma comes your way real soon. Everytime I do some act of kindness. In the not to distant future. Usually I get something good in return. You only reap what you sow.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
The right deed, and done for the right reason.
We must stick together, as well as sticking up for those who help us.
Don
kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Cush said:
".... Drew owns a couple of fubar'd guns I know (a particular 6" 57 comes to mind), but if he did that to an N-frame he might never see another piece of apple pie from this house! ..." kihfL
You must mean of course that first month's production NIB No Dash... but only it's 5 11/16" not a 6. ;)

I'm not worried about the Pie.... I bet Julie would send me some if I asked.... She's a kind and generous almost-daughter-in-law that way.... :)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
azmick said:
Stopped by a place today that has been closed for a while. Did not know what was up with it, but I feared the worst. I was correct, the guy has cancer. Dwayne has been in that shop for about 20 years and always has a joke or comment for his customers when they walk in. He never did a big amount but enough to get by and his prices were a bit below the normal over priced gun show prices. But I enjoyed talking with him and have bought some stuff from him. Today, his son was in the place and told me about his chemo and other treatments. When I asked about his health insurance coverage, his son laughed.
Long story short, I bought a 19-3, 4", wearing goodyears, with rust under them, no color left on the trigger or hammer, bluing is thin except where it is gone, rear sight is bent. Paid $400. I don't care if that's too much. Getting old I guess
Pics sometime this weekend
klgasilBRVO klgasilBRVO

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Good on you for that! Reminds me of what a woman I dated before my second wife used to say, "Blessed be,blessed be, what ye send out comes back thrice to thee."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice gesture - good mojo will come your way for sure. Darn - I kinda like the two-tone with rubber...
RR l;l;naaaa

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks every one.
I'm over it {was last night} and am now into the the 'what next' part. Soaked the rust in Kroil over night and scrapped with a finger nail this morning to remove alot of rust. Wipped it down and gave it a liberal dose of Hoppe's #9. Got home from a long day at work and took a brass brush to it. Intresting thing is, there is no flame cutting at all. None, zero, nada, zip. There was alot of crud {looked for a cracked forcing cone but expected it under the top strap yesterday} and I'm hoping the insides are full of the same crud and the DA pull smooths out. I was going to use a pocket knife to pull the side plate {the scews are already ,,,,,,custom lkhjg;a and the spot where the 5th screw would go has a 'chigger'} but I'll wait 'till the morning. The bright side is the cylinder's chambers and the barrel's bore look excellent, it locks up tight, the hammer will not push off, looks like about a 1976 vintage {9K594XX} and Barb may have to get into liking a K frame. We'll see how it shoots in the morning.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good on you azmick, you did the right thing. kfjdrfirii

This Model 19 while not perfect will be special to you in the future.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts