Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, pictures of the woods camp...

Been a busy period since I went on sabatical ;)

I've always said that Summer is time best spent with the Flintlocks. Been squirelin' away a bunch of gear. My mentor and his bride have guided me in a new direction. What I thought was historically accurate and Period Correct doesn't alway jibe. Much of what is accepted is blurring with each generation, as they leave us. The experience remains the same, but arguments about the gear never seem to pass.

In the world of re-enactors..there is a group known as Thread Counters. They will dutifully find fault with a persons gear, time period, etc...They seem to make it a life's mission to correct what others are trying to do. I tend not to let that group bother me...instead, I listen intently to the sermons. When they finish I ask to look at their guns. Imagine their response when I point out that they are all reproductions, that they are shooting modern substitute powders, and their flints are imported junk (much like their guns ) :p

Some folks love to get into the little details, and beat other's with their knowledge....Sound familiar !

Anyrate, this Hunter's camp would never pass a Thread Counter's muster. But then again, very few of them have ever spent a night experiencing the very early 1800's. You folks may notice a few modern convienences in the encampment...but trust me, when it is used all this goes away.

I'm spending this Summer doing research into the Middle Maine period. Finding folks that have tried to preserve our past history is really quite difficult. Unless your willing to have your history spoon fed to you by the revisionist historians...~~~ you have to hit the road and do a lot of homework and research.

Currently, I'm caught up in the Proprietor Land Grab that happened after the War for Independence. Some might call the American Revolution the period that followed - starting in 1783. Much of this is the history that we were never taught in school.

Anyrate....the Humble Woods Abode!

Pease,
giz

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hi, Giz.

I assume the pictures are the woods camp you mentioned in another thread. Can you provide details, viz. did you build it, and do you own it, and how large is it, actually. Looks like it would be a fun experience!

As to authenticity, I've heard a few reenactors argue, back in the days when we participated regularly in Living History Days at the local historical museum grounds. Accuracy is nice and worth knowing, but at some level it strikes me as kind of like the arguments religious zealots get into, then justify their positions by throwing competing and contradictory Bible verses at one-another.

Far as the log cabin/log hut business is concerned, that was not indigenous to the North American Continent in any event. White European settlers brought their mores, folkways, and even ways of housing with them. And the building styles, depending on terrain and materials available, varied a lot from place to place in the British Isles. The point is, the log cabin came here, in varying versions, from Britain. Scandinavians also brought their style of log huts with them when the early ones settled in the northern Midwest.

The source for the log cabin stuff, as well as a lot of other information -- and a really excellent read, by the way, if a lengthy one -- is "Albion's Seed." I forget the author (I loaned my copy out several years ago, and it never made it home) but it should be available in paperback at your local big box book store or over the I-net.

Great thread!

Bill

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Your gonna get some of those guys mad at you Giz.Many of them more than likely will attack you worse than any because you seem to be actualy doing what they like to dress up pretend to do.It is one thing to sit and read and buy some stuff and make a little then go sit around and talk about it. Its another to take the stuff and walk out of civilization and use the stuff as it was made for.My mother has been into geneology since I was a kid and over the years she has dug up old books and journals wills war records and other documents that contradict a lot of what you see in history as a fact.
They were written and lived as the regular people of the day did.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill,

This is typical of a White Indian encampment. Size is based on the pieceof vertical ledge outcropping. This particular one is about 10'X12' and is built into a hillside. The roof is pitched to put the water back behind the ledge. In the Summer on a hot day, it is cool. On a Winter night, the Franklin heats the rock enough to create a thermal mass and heat the cabin for many hours...fire out.

onenut58....

It all in how far your willin' to push that ride! :mrgreen:
Me, I'm beyond carin' what most folks think. Get's me in real hot water, but it beats Ice Water ;)

I'd rather think that I could survive in the 18th century then the 21st. What I learn, how I manage...makes it look like a cakewalk today :mrgreen:

Anyrate, we're out on a woodlot landing tomorrow night ~ practicing what we preach. Oldest to Youngest is a 51 year spread in age...

Bet you'd fit right in....12 foot firepit, two sets of fire-irons cookin' supper, canvas tents set to reflect the heat, firewater to set the tempo' :)

giz

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Thats realy sounds like a good time. I never have been able to put my finger on it but food tastes better in a setting like that to.If I lived closer than clean across the nation from you I would come poking around checking it out though. I am a light weight with the fire water and learned to steer clear of that myself.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
The "so-called experts" on the old ways, tend to get their "experience" from reading books......not from practical experience.
Doing it the right way, by living it, as you are doing, should give you a great sense of pride. ;) Keep on doin' it your own way! It really doesn't matter what the "experts" may think. :roll:

BTW, you really zinged 'em good with the comment about the
reproduction rifles that they were using. Sorta cuts 'em down to size!!!! :lol: Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Great Pics, Giz. I especially like how the fireplace is positioned against the ledge face. The fire warms the stone and the stone warms the camp even after the fire has died down.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shaun,

Cool in the Summer....yesterday ~ before the storms it was a good 20 degrees cooler inside because of the ledge. Pretty clever, those old timers....

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Very nice - in fact nicer than one of the places I lived in many years ago when I was in college! The wall covering is first class and appears to me to be "period correct".

Clever how you sloped the roof back onto the top of the ledge - establish some comfortable head room. I'm assuming that the top of the ledge slopes off to one side or the other.

xtm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts