Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

I was first on the list for a four inch Python at the LGS. He called yesterday afternoon and told me this one came in earlier in the day. I was there when they opened this morning. This is where my stimulus money went. Doing my part to help the recovery. Thank you , Mr. President. I went over the gun with a light and a magnifier and I found zero cosmetic or machining flaws , very good trigger , and balances great. I hope this one is as defective as the one Cajun Bass owns. Range report to come.

Premium Member
Congratulations. You're gonna like that one I'll bet. My first one, the 6" gun, did have a couple of malfunctions, but they were easily corrected "in the field" using only a simple screwdriver. That one was a sub-3000 S/N gun. Since the 3000's I don't think I've heard of any problems with any of them. It seems Colt really moved quickly to nip the problems in the bud.

I haven't had a chance to shoot my 4" one (S/N 5500 range) yet...Covid..and all that. The range has opened though, and I hope to get over there maybe tomorrow.

Registered
Sweet looking new Pony there. Look forward to hear how she shoots.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations. You're gonna like that one I'll bet. My first one, the 6" gun, did have a couple of malfunctions, but they were easily corrected "in the field" using only a simple screwdriver. That one was a sub-3000 S/N gun. Since the 3000's I don't think I've heard of any problems with any of them. It seems Colt really moved quickly to nip the problems in the bud.

I haven't had a chance to shoot my 4" one (S/N 5500 range) yet...Covid..and all that. The range has opened though, and I hope to get over there maybe tomorrow.

View attachment 470586
I read the same thing about the problem serial number range. When I saw mine was in the 7000 range , I'm thinking they have the bugs worked out. The more I look it over , the more impressed I am with the build quality. The fitting is well done.

Registered
Fine looking Colt! Great addition to any collection. Have fun with it and let us know how it functions for you. Congrats!

Reactions: Boriqua

Premium Member
My local gun shop got one and I had a chance to handle it. They are quite nice. Not sure I'm ready to bite, thought. I don't have one Colt revolver at this point - S&W, Dan Wesson and Ruger all the way...

Premium Member
So,CB, you have the 6鈥 and the 4鈥. I guess a 2 1/2鈥 is next? Hank PS-Very nice looking 4鈥. I know that鈥檚 your favorite barrel length. Good shooting!

Premium Member
So,CB, you have the 6鈥 and the 4鈥. I guess a 2 1/2鈥 is next? Hank PS-Very nice looking 4鈥. I know that鈥檚 your favorite barrel length. Good shooting!
No, I'm pretty much a 4" barrel guy.

Unless a 4" in blue comes along, I'm out of the Python market.

Reactions: Rcope822

Registered
Looks good! I bet you get 1 or 2 malfunctions within the first million rounds... but seriously, I hope all is well with it. I have not seen any bad press on them once they got past the initial couple hundred guns and look forward to a range report

I read the same thing about the problem serial number range. When I saw mine was in the 7000 range , I'm thinking they have the bugs worked out. The more I look it over , the more impressed I am with the build quality. The fitting is well done.
There used to be an old saying in the USAAC/USAAF/USAF "Never buy the "A" model of anything".

Premium Member
No. When you buy an "A" model, you just accept that there might be teething pains, but really tightening a screw barely qualifies. :)

P.S. Those screws (2) haven't loosened again.

Reactions: Rcope822

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
There used to be an old saying in the USAAC/USAAF/USAF "Never buy the "A" model of anything".
Boeing has been building planes for almost 100 years and still can't get it right. I'll give Colt a shot at doing it right.

Registered
Congrats, I just got mine yesterday, changed to a different style of Altamont grips that are Rosewood then I shined her up, now ready to go to the range.
8A2 (2).jpg

Registered
I was checking out those same grips on Altamont. Those look great.
Actually they look better than in the picture it doesn't do them justice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts