Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
black powder shooter
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been in reset mode the past couple years, swapping things of steel that never/infrequently see the light of day with things i find more interesting.

long guns in particular are in favor here these days. For example in the past couple weeks i traded out of 2 pretty nice revolvers and into 2 semi-auto rifles that i have always had an interest in but never came across in the local marketplace

The first was a MAS 49/56 carbine in 7.5 french. A nice condition gun low serial number with a single factory rebuild, spare mags and with couple hundred rounds of new ammo to get started with. Really been looking at wood stocked semi-auto's to add to the various bolt actions in the accumulation.. was looking a various mill surps that woudnt break the bank and this one came up on a swap for a S&W i had in the safe..

No good pictures of it yet - but to get the idea..

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Military camouflage Military uniform Military person Squad Cap

Today i picked up another one i always wanted - a Marlin Camp in 45acp.. really nice shape. Cant wait to get this one to the range.. buffer and recoil spring have already been swapped out. Got a stack of 1911 mags also. Been shopping some AR based pistol-caliber carbines - and these are kind of the grandfather of that itch.. Sold one of my revolvers and replaced it with this this. Stock has a few small dings and needs a cleaning, but the blue is primo all around. 1995 issue..

Sleeve Wood Font Metal Office equipment

Registered
One thing I don't do is wood stocked rifles.. I much prefer carbon fiber because wood swells and shrinks and will impact the accuracy.

Registered
One thing I don't do is wood stocked rifles.. I much prefer carbon fiber because wood swells and shrinks and will impact the accuracy.
Maybe......But 100's of millions of animals have been and still being killed with wood stocked rifles. My hunting rifles are all wood stocked with the exception of of my AR in 7.62x39. There won't be enough movement of the wood in a well seasoned walnut stock to change the impact much inside of 300 yards.

Registered
I've killed hundreds of whistle pigs with my wood stocked M70 in temperature from the 30s to the 90s and it has always been spot on.

Registered
I've killed hundreds of whistle pigs with my wood stocked M70 in temperature from the 30s to the 90s and it has always been spot on.
All hinges on how the action and barrel is bedded. Wood moves, CF don't and CF is lighter too. Not into carrying a lead sled. I want light and no movement in the action and barrel because the wood has expanded.

Reactions: blazermark

Registered
black powder shooter
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.. I much prefer carbon fiber because wood swells and shrinks and will impact the accuracy.
i definitely hear that Daryl, i sat in with some of the AM old boys meets on the 300+ yard range at the club i used to belong to, routinely got my clock cleaned. The good ones were not shooting wood stocks.

These days for me its public range at 100 yards and a minute of bad guy expectation level, with the experience of shooting interesting/historical guns and wrestling with the magic combination to get a decent group (or even on paper with the BP guns..)

And I'm not humping them anywhere other than from the car to the range table - some of those old things weigh a ton compared to todays lightweight options.. :eek:

Registered
At one time, I possessed a Ruger Number 1 Carbine in 300 WM. Beautiful gun, Bill Ruger designed a masterpiece. problem is, it would not shoot for beans because it had a wood stock and the fore end was in contact with the barrel and as the wood expanded and contracted with the relative humidity, the POI changed. Accuracy all depended on the relative humidity. I finally sold it but not before I modified the fore end and added a small allen head screw in the fore stock that contacted the tube and provided a consistent 'push' on it regardless of what the fore end was doing (which actually is the 'fix' for the inconsistent POI issue). Nice stick with an inherent issue. Almost restocked it, but it would have destroyed it's beauty so I sold it.

With all my long guns, the tube is never in contact with the fore end, all the tubes free float and the actions are bedded into the stocks, either pillar bedded or nestled in the CF itself.

The great thing about Carbon Fiber stocks is they are not effected by humidity plus they can take abuse and not show it and of course they are light compared to wood. They don't have the 'beauty' of wood furniture however.

Registered
Congrats on a fine score with 2 great additions to your collection.

Reactions: blazermark
1 - 10 of 10 Posts