Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked up a load for the 300 Win Mag using 200 gr. Nosler Partitions {2987 fps :D } and the 7X307 using 162 gr. A-Max bullets {2223 fps out of a '15' inch barrel} and ran them over the Chrony. It was a good morning for shooting. Never did run any of the 357 Mag loads over the Chrony, not sure why not

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

nothing ugly 'bout them. I should have taken a pic of what Carl, myself and WFR (Jim) were shooting.

Just an awesome day to shoot!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
You want Ugly?

Now this is ugly....

Entrance Wound. 200 grn. .358 Core-Lokt around 2,000 fps. Range, 39 paces.

Lost alot of good meat off that front shoulder, but it thankfully missed the hams and loins.

Whoever said that the .35 Remington is 'marginal' on whitetails has obviously never used one as intended.

·
Super Moderator
11,050 Posts
35 Remington huh? Is that what you told those Maine Wardens?.

That deer looks like it took a hit from one of these:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Honestly Shaun, the deer we shot last year in West Virginia with a cast lead hollow point out of a .45-70 didn't show this much damage.

Now where did I put Grandma's Mince Meat recipe?....

·
Super Moderator
19,537 Posts
Drew,
Do you really have a recipe for old fashioned minced meat?
I would surely like a copy of it. My Grandma made awesome minced meat pies when I was little.
Sure miss them.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Greg,

My people are from the Northern Adirondack Mountains of Upstate New York.

My Grandfather and his brothers were subsistence woodsmen until the late 1920's when they moved to town to work in the paper mills. They retained their "Mountain Ways". My Grandmother was of the same stock and being thrifty folks, absolutely nothing was wasted.

Long answer I know, but yes there is a wonderful mince meat recipe around here someplace if my ex wife didn't steal it (along with the light bulbs) when she left.

If I can find it, I'll send you a copy.

Drew

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Nope, I snuck up on him.... Woods Hunting is like that. Pretty typical for Maine.

He was looking right at me quartered on, when I poked him.

Shot him end to end, through and through. Note the hole in his shoulder.

Photos are blurry because the sun wasn't up yet. Was 15 minutes into the legal season.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An explination is in order I quess. The 'good' is the two S&W revolvers, Model 28 molested and the Model 19-3. Both shoot extremly well. The 'bad', as in Bad! are the two longer guns. The Winchester 70 did what it always does, put three .308 size holes in a paper plate that you can cover with a Quarter, shooting from the hood of the truck. The Encore does about the same thing {almost boring :mrgreen: } but with slighly larger groups shooting from the bench. The 'ugly' is the A. Uberti 357. After spending a couple hours cleaning it up, lubing it just a bit and replacing a couple screws, I find that .358 bullets fall completly through the cylinder chambers {except for the one chamber that even sized cases will not go into}, a reduced load 357 spit pieces of primer in my face {pierced it}, but hollow base wad cutters pushed by 3.5 gr. W231 in 38 Spcl cases ring the 5X5 steel plate at 25 paces every time. Need to shim the front of the cylinder a bit or retire the thing {to a shadow box maybe}.
As far as mincedmeat goes, I am not a big fan of it. Making sausage out of a blown out shoulder is more to my liking kfjdrfirii and 40 paces is about right for a quail shoot ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts