Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to do BP and not understand that you sometimes get immersed in the gear and accoutrements that go with the guns. The folks that are serious about it develope Persona's based on the time periods that they are trying to recreate. I'm prolly over the top on this...for this forum. But of late, I've been trying to gather authentic gear for the time periods of some of my guns. That involves everything from the stuff that makes the guns run to the clothing, hunting/camping gear, eating utensils, tools, etc...of the period.

Pretty weird, huh? ;)

giz

·
Registered
256 Posts
:? Does this mean your going to treat us to a picture of you in a breach-clout :shock: ... sitting on those rocks ? :p

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Giz, that sounds like a hoot, I am sure you are not the only one. I was into the BP thing many many moons ago, I built a TC Hawkin and a Kentucky rifle and a few pistols, but they have all been sold off.

Maybe you can get a part time gig at Old Sturbridge Village!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
revorg, you wish ~ the ladies would faint.... :mrgreen:

Actually, a possibles bag is a pretty handy item. It carries your tools for the gun and keeps them organized. Ball or shot, powder flasks, nipple picks, patch knife, short starter, extra flints, patch, and other items all fit neatly in the bag. All are quickly accessible as it hangs from your side. A hunting coat or Frock is actually a pretty good woods jacket. And they are layered to hold the heat on a cold day. They are very warm. Wearing a bearded knife sheath around your neck inside your frock makes it handily accessed. A rabbit hat is another item that is very warm. Actually, I cannot think of a modern one that is warmer. Most are cut as the modern Mad Bomber style and would be hard to beat on a cold Winter day.

Guess getting immersed in the 1700's isn't for everyone. But we get so caught up in the 21st century ~ that it becomes a nice break from reality. Going out on a fine Summers day and target shooting using cross sticks, or just plinking with a Flintlock is always memorable. The slow pace and the fire and brimstone transports and relaxes you. Makes the hectic world go away, if only for awhile....

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Gizamo said:
revorg, you wish ~ the ladies would faint.... :mrgreen:

Actually, a possibles bag is a pretty handy item. It carries your tools for the gun and keeps them organized. Ball or shot, powder flasks, nipple picks, patch knife, short starter, extra flints, patch, and other items all fit neatly in the bag. All are quickly accessible as it hangs from your side. A hunting coat or Frock is actually a pretty good woods jacket. And they are layered to hold the heat on a cold day. They are very warm. Wearing a bearded knife sheath around your neck inside your frock makes it handily accessed. A rabbit hat is another item that is very warm. Actually, I cannot think of a modern one that is warmer. Most are cut as the modern Mad Bomber style and would be hard to beat on a cold Winter day.

Guess getting immersed in the 1700's isn't for everyone. But we get so caught up in the 21st century ~ that it becomes a nice break from reality. Going out on a fine Summers day and target shooting using cross sticks, or just plinking with a Flintlock is always memorable. The slow pace and the fire and brimstone transports and relaxes you. Makes the hectic world go away, if only for awhile....

giz
Giz, There was a show not to long ago on the outdoor channel on some type of competition shooting doing it the old way. Of course everyone is dressed as you described, camping out, and several different types of shooting, hawk throwing, and other woodscraft. A very enjoyable show. When I first got into blackpowder, more because of my job I wanted to learn about how it was used, and then found out how much fun, and a pain it could be. My first possibles bag was an old Claymore mine bag, with to fairly large pockets, and a wide enough strap, I found it to be very good for the task. Now I'm talking about the older all cotton bag, not the newer nylon weave. With the cotton, all that was needed was to spray the outside with ScotchGuard to water proof it. Granted its not original, but it works really well for that job. Maybe one day when I grow up, I'll get me a leather on.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leighton,

Guess the real reason that I posted this is that I want to go trekking this Fall. And I want to do it traditionally. God help me, but I've got enough neighbors and landowners around me to actually pull it off. Pretty hard to wander off of a thousand acres. ;) But actually not that hard....

The plan is to make camp for two nights and live with what you carry. Food is what is allowed for upland game and fishing to supplement your pack. I'll prolly come back hungry and tired...but better for the wear. There are one or two others willin' to give it a go. Lord help the poor woodsman or hiker that happen's on us :)

Funniest thing is that my wife, Miss Jules is wanting to go along....God loves a Maine woman...!!!!

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Sounds like a great time, salt pork, hardtack, dried beans, and coffee. Make sure you take plenty of pic's!! I think it would be great if Jules goes, or ya scared she might show you guys up??????

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, she's a pretty fine shot with a flintlock...and I have no doubt that she loves the camping part. We used to hike and climb all the Maine mountains as a weekend adventure. Spent many a night in stone huts or camped out on top of them...so this will be much the same, only in period gear...

giz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts