Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Both of these guns are originals. None of this lawyer lock or redesigned lockwork. These are originals six inch lead launchers. The Colt is from 1978 and the S&W is from 1988.

The Colt uses a "V" mainspring, not flat mainspring (though the "V" shaped spring does happen to be flat). Because of this, the Colt is long action and S&W has a short action design. All things being equal, the Colt's long action double action pull will feel lighter through the longer arc since there is more leverage.

The Colt has a 8 pound double action pull and the single action weighs in at about 3 pounds while the S&W is at 10 pounds in double action, but the single action beats it at about 2.5 pounds.

Which would you choose?

Luckily, I have both!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Which would you choose? Luckily, I have both!
I would choose the Python for sure... provided I could afford it. :giggle:

I'm not into the unfluted cylinder look at all. Just looks unfinished to me... or even home-made. ;)

I do have a 6" 586 and a 6" 686 already... both no dash, no M. Two of the most prized guns I own! (y)(y)

But the Python occupies a special place in my aging brain. I blew my one opportunity to own one (an original) and we aren't currently allowed to buy a brand new 2020 Python here in MA. The 'street' cost (~$2K) is much too high for now anyway. :(

So it's really a moot point for moi. I'll stick with what I have and be grateful for them! :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,451 Posts
I belong to a S&W forum for a very good reason...

... The only Colt handguns in my home are M1911a1 pistols. I prefer the S&W revolver action design, and would choose the S&W 686 (as I've already done in real life)...

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Well, the real unanswered question is how did each do for 'ya OP?

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Both the 686 and Python are excellent revolvers. Have owned several of both designs. Currently I own a nice six inch 686-1. Have used it in some matches at the local PD. Everyone else shoots either L-frames or 1911's. Last time I fired a match, placed 3rd overall. Figure that's pretty good for a box stock revolver w/ nothing done but shoot and clean it. It also does a great job in the woods/fields. Of the three Pythons I owned, two were average in accuracy. One was great ... w/ .38 Special loads it once produced five groups of six shots each that averaged under one inch from sandbags. Wish I'd kept the target. My 686-1 does this with my plain Jane handholds. Very happy. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I have shot both. I shot my 6 inch Python in PPC matches in the 70’s and early 80’s. it was a great gun and was deadly accurate. The 686 with the unfluted cylinder would be my choice for shooting all the time. I love the weight and accuracy of the 686. One of the best all around revolvers ever made IMHO.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've shot both. If the Python's DA trigger was lighter, I couldn't tell it probably because it's a typical Colt trigger that takes more and more and more pressure to fire it in DA mode. The S&W trigger is in MHO, much better for DA work and it seems like a lot of DA shooters agree. Jerry Miculic, Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith and Ed McGivern all shot Smiths. There may be some people who used a Python for DA work but I don't remember any.

·
Registered
19,661 Posts
As mentioned above, I have fired the Python but could never feel comfort zone with the grip angle. My 686 is much better and to me more comfortable to shoot so I shoot better with it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have owned several Pythons over the years and many Smiths. The python has a very unique, like a hot knife thru butter double action pull. But I have always preferred a tuned shorter Smith action, also did not care for the stacking or spring tension variation and the butt grip frame on the Python is way too wide for me. My favorite 357 is my no dash 586.

·
Registered
20,749 Posts
I have never shot a Colt Python. Never seen one either.....outside of a gun shop! This IS S&W country......Springfield plant is 30 minutes away. I bring my Smith's to the plant, when I need work done. ;) Bob

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Hey Miami,

Great Shooting!

Fine pair of REVOLVERS!!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Tooka and jeepnut

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the real unanswered question is how did each do for 'ya OP?
I have both and many more S&W and Colt revolvers. I love 'em both.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I have shot S&Ws for longer than Colts. I'm use to the rotation of the cylinder of the S&W and how the cylinder release works. The Colt is opposite for the rotation and how the release works. I finally sold/traded my Colts because the Colt created "cognitve dissonance" for me; plus the fewer manuals of arms, the better for me.

I have a 686, 6" barrel, full underlug and enjoy shooting it and a 686+ in carry length and enjoy it also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts